Saturday, September 27, 2014

Doll-A-Day 246: Skipper Saturday: Brunette Sample Skipper

  This week's Skipper Saturday doll is this Sample Skipper.

Sample Skipper's aren't really samples. They are the first Skippers on the market.



 So, they are a little different from the common Skippers that are usually found.

Oh! The One Hair!


The main difference that you can see is that Sample Skippers have a wide stance,much wider than ordinary Skippers.

The other difference is that the word Japan on the bottom of her foot runs from toe to heel, rather than across the foot like common Skippers.

And they have bigger feet.
I showed a foot comparison in Doll-A-Day post #25, if you want to see.

And slightly bigger legs. They are supposedly made of resin rather than plastic, but I can't tell much difference.

Sample Skippers also commonly have more thickly rooted bangs.This girl certainly does.



I had planned on having this girl pose on the skateboard that came with the 'Skipper on Wheels' gift set from 1965, since she's wearing the clothes and hat from it. (The clothes are the same as Skipper's Fun Time fashion from 1965. The hat was only available with the Skipper on Wheels gift set.A blue version was available in a Skipper Pak.)

In addition to the skateboard there was also a scooter,a red yoyo, a pair of red skates,a pair of red sunglasses,the jacket from Fun Time,and the blouse and skirt from Fun at the Fair.


The scooter and skateboard,and as I said, the red hat, are exclusive to the gift set.




The shirt has some beautiful embroidery.




The problem with putting her on the skateboard is, her stance is so much wider than a regular Skipper that she can't get both feet in the foot spots at the same time!


I had to make her lean her one foot on a rock so she could stand up!



This girl is actually one of my favourite Skippers that I own.


She has a beautiful powdery complexion.


I got this doll in an Ebay lot, along with 11 other Skippers in various states of wear. I showed another doll from this lot, a Color Magic Skipper, on Doll-A-Day 137.


The lot also contained  a Skipper case, a few pieces of Skipper clothing, and a felt cowgirl outfit. I thought I would sell whatever it took to pay for the lot so I could keep some of the dolls. I hoped I could make back enough to keep, not just this girl, but her Color Magic Friend as well. I started with the felt cowgirl outfit. I wasn't sure who it was for, but it looked like it might fit a Betsy McCall. As it turned out, it was a Betsy McCall outift. I made back all but $7 of what the lot had cost me, including the shipping, so I let myself keep everything else. I love that story!


She needed a little hair conditioning when I got her, but she's very nice.


Ivy and I named this girl 'Personality Girl' because in her auction pictures she was looking at  the Color Magic doll and showing lots of attitude.


  See you tomorrow for another doll.




1 comment:

  1. I have one just like her and I love her too. I didn't know when I bought her that she was a "sample Skipper" I bought her for a great price at a Barbie Doll Show. I noticed her stance being wider and thought something was wrong with her legs till I researched. Mine has hair, bangs and face paint just like yours! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.