Sunday, November 5, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #299: Pressed Cloth Face Dolls

    Today is the 35th anniversary of my and Ken's first date. It's a doosey of a story that involves getting stranded in Canada. If you want to read about it you can go HERE

  The doll for today is a pair of dolls I saw at an antique mall.




  She's a pressed cloth faced doll. Pressed cloth face dolls have faces made of cloth, formed by pressing the cloth, soaked in a glue solution, over a hard form. The form is usually made of clay, porcelain, or hard plastic. The cloth is secured down until it's dry, and then the face is sewn to the head of the doll.

  I like pressed cloth and pressed felt face dolls. One of these days I'm going to try to make one myself. Of course, that involves sculpting a head first. I have used air dry clay before, but it can be a bit brittle. With my luck  I'd get a really good one done, make a beautiful pressed felt face, and then break my model!

  That's it for today. See you tomorrow for another doll.

2 comments:

  1. These are beautiful dolls. Do you know who made them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know anything about them. The first one, which was about 15 inches tall, reminds me of those 6 or 7 inch dolls representing various countries. I have a bunch of those.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.