Monday, November 27, 2023

Doll-A-Day 2023 #318: Charlie's Angels Kris? or Jill?

                                       *****THIS POST HAS BEEN UPDATED*****

  Today's doll is Kris, from Charlie's Angels. Or is it Jill? Please see the conversation in the comments. I saw this doll, in package online, and she was a Kris doll. Then I saw many more, in the green suit, with this head, and they were Jill. The doll looks like Cheryl Ladd more than Farah Fawcett, but it is wearing the white suit that came on Jill, (Although I also saw the white suit on one of the other characters too! I think Hasbro played fast and loose with their character control.),and most of the Kris dolls I'm seeing have a different face, with a slightly more closed mouth. So, probably Jill? Did Hasbro maybe make the early Kris dolls using the Jill head?


The Charlie's Angels doll were first made, by Hasbro, in 1977, and based on the popular TV series of the same name. I never watched the show myself. I just got this doll in an auction box lot. She needs to go. I have another Charlie's Angels doll, so maybe we'll see her this week too. Kris, produced in 1978, was the first replacement Angel, after Farrah Fawcett left the show. She was played by Cheryl Ladd. The doll isn't a bad likeness of her. It makes a better Cheryl Ladd than Farrah Fawcett.


  There were three Charlie's Angels, but there were three replacement 'Angels' during the course of the series. I don't  think second replacement Shelley Hack, or third replacement Tanya Roberts, ever had  dolls made of them. 


The dolls were 8 inches tall. All four made wore the same knee high black boots, and the same outfit, just in different colours. Farah Fawcett came in a white suit. Cheryl Ladd came in a green suit, but I've also seen a never removed from card doll in the white suit. It may be another case of Hasbro initially using the last of their Jill stock to make the Kris doll. Anyway, Kris should also have a navy blue neckerchief. Jill would have had a green one. There's also a possibility that Kris had navy blue boots. And possibly the dolls sometimes had white boots? I've seen that too!

  There were also fashions produced for these dolls. They show up a lot less frequently than the dolls themselves, or maybe I just don't recognize them when I see them.

   Mego reproduced the classic Charlie's Angels women as 8 inch figures in recent years, but they apparently didn't own the likenesses, or were just really bad at sculpting them. 

  Some trivia for you: 

Cheryl Ladd was the daughter-in-law of  1940's/50's star Alan Ladd, of "Shane" fame. 

When the Mrs. Beasley doll was reproduced by Ashton Drake, it,(and the new 5.5 inch Mrs. Beasley talking ornament), was voiced by Cheryl Ladd.

 That's the doll for today. See you tomorrow. 

4 comments:

  1. I have this doll and I always thought she was Farrah/Jill? The Kris dolls face looks a bit different? Less toothy smile. What do you think, Im kinda confused, maybe all this time I mistakenly thought my doll was the Farrah doll but she’s really Kris. Thanks for the info. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By gum, I think you're right. It looks so much like Cheryl Ladd, and nothing like Farrah Fawcett. It is wearing the Jill clothes though. I looked up the Kris doll, and I think they may have used the Jill doll for some of them, because I swear it was this doll. But I juts looked them up, and it has a different face! Honestly, this doll looks more like Cheryl Ladd than the Kris dolls I saw today! Here's the one I saw, in the Kris package, but in the white suit and with this head: https://www.ebay.com/itm/126036842889?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

      Delete
  2. I liked Charlie's Angels. I didn't know that there were dolls though. I guess I can't be surprised. There are dolls about every movie star and TV show.

    That gives me an idea for a Trivia Contest for 2024. What movie stars never had dolls made in their honor? I already know I would fail this contest (laugh).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially these days. There are dolls or toys from everything.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.