Sunday, January 13, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #13: So Small Babies Patsy Peppermint

  Today's doll is this tiny kid.


Her name is Patsy Peppermint. I always assumed she was an accessory that came with a larger doll. But Patsy is from a line of dolls called So Small Babies. So Small Babies were produced in 1989 by Galoob.



   There were several series of the So Small Babies line made that year. Most of the series had nine dolls: six babies and three animals. Patsy was part of a series of  dolls with a candy theme. The other dolls in the series were Gumball Baby,Lavender Drop,Bubble Gum, Lolly Dolly, and Lucy Licorice. There were also three animals in the candy series, which included Marzi Panda,Chocolate Cherry, and Caramel Cat.

These are from a series with a flower theme.

  There were other series,which included Babies, Sentiments,(Lucky,Happy,Beddie Bye, Happy Birthday..I don't see how these are all 'sentiments'.),and Flowers.


  The dolls were sold as sets,or individually with houses and playsets. Playsets included things like beds, swings,and ride on toys.

 

The accessories were plastic, but the houses were cardboard with a plastic roof and base.

 

There was one large house playset that didn't come with a doll. Pictures exist of two sets that were planned, but never produced,Sea Fantasy and Fun Fruit.
  The So Small Babies are 2 1/2" tall. They have soft squishy bodies and vinyl heads. They're sort of bean bag-ish.



   I had this kid for years before I found out what she is. You have to remember, 1989 was the year I got married. I didn't have much contact with toys that year. This was my "I think I'm too old for toys' period. (I did buy a few, but was easily talked out of many of them by Unsentimental Niece.) In previous years I had Unsentimental Niece's childhood to go by, but she was 12 by this time and becoming more interested in clothes,jewelry, and hair dos. I didn't have any kids myself until Emma was born in 1991. After I had Emma I got reconnected with toys BIG TIME.
  If you're interested in So Small Babies, The Ghost of the Doll has a nice page showing all the dolls,playsets,and accessories. You can check that out HERE.


  That's today's doll. See you again tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. This really is a small doll. I can see why you thought it was an accessory. I wonder how many survive today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have slowed down on my thrifting and yard saling, but I used to do quite a lot of it, and this is the only one I've ever found.

      Delete
  2. So tiny and so cute, they are like little humanised star fish!!
    They'd make perfect dolls for small dolls at this size. I think the playsets look great, they'd be fun to put into a small dolls house!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the right size for dolls dolls. That's why I thought they went with a larger doll. I guess I'm conditioned by modern dolls that aren't supposed to be small enough to swallow.They are starting to make tiny stuff again though.What ever happened to toys not being small enough to fit in a film cannister so they can't be swallowed?

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.