Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #23: 'Sample Skipper'

    First of all,my best friend,Lori,whose childhood Christmas photos you may have enjoyed recently,is having an ablation on her heart today. Any prayers, good wishes, positive vibes or whatever you believe in,sent her way would be greatly appreciated.
  Now,on to today's doll. It's this girl.



She's Barbie's sister Skipper.


Skipper was introduced in 1964. She was Barbie's first family member. She was joined in 1964 by Allan, and preceded by Ken,in 1961,and Midge, in 1963.


She's a special Skipper though. She's what is known as a 'Sample Skipper' or 'Test Market Skipper'.



The term 'Test Market' is more accurate,because these dolls were not actually 'samples'. They are the first Skipper dolls on the market.



They were made in much smaller numbers than Skippers that followed,and have certain differences than the regular Skippers.


The differences include bigger feet...


 

You may have seen this comparison in a previous post,but the 'sample' is on the left, regular Skipper on the right.
..legs that are made of resin instead of plastic,(although I can't tell the difference myself.)...


...a much broader stance than later Skippers...





...and  'Japan' written on the foot toe to heel instead of across the arch.


Other differences include double rows of bangs.


And a lot of the Sample Skippers have what I describe as a 'powdery' complexion. They're very pretty.


You will have seen a couple of my other 'Sample Skippers' HERE,and HERE.
  This is actually her original bathing suit, not just one like it. When I got her she was in a Barbie case with this suit and her shoes and booklet,and some other stuff.


  I never had  a Skipper as a kid. Skipper was one of those dolls I was aware of, but 'other kids' had them. At some point as an adult who collected dolls,specificall some vintage Barbie and family,I decided I wanted 'a' Skipper. After getting one, I discovered how much I liked them, and the vintage Skipper fashions. That was many Skippers ago! Unfortunately I don't have today Skipper any longer. She was very similar to one I already have,(one of the dolls I posted on before which you can find in one of the links above.),and so she left me to help me get a little closer to the trip to England with Ken and Emma this summer.

 

It's nice to look back on the photos though,because she is a really beautiful  doll. Tomorrow we'll see another doll.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't have a Skipper as only Barbies were out when I was a child. Did the later Skippers have eyes as bright blue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. They sure did. that part didn't change.

      Delete
  2. Oh she is lovely! I really like this Skipper and the outfit she's wearing. It's a shame you had to sell her, but needs must as they say. I liked her in the outfit in the link you posted too...she's a very nice doll.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hated to have to sell her. She is actually in slightly better condition than the one in the link you mentioned. Her bangs were nicer. I love that other one though, and Ivy and I gave her a personality,(In fact, we named her 'Personality Girl'!) So I had to keep her,even though she has more frizzy bangs. She's one of my favourite Skippers that I own.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.