Sunday, January 20, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #20: Baby Face dolls

  Well, winter has finally hit full force. The street is covered in deep snow and the temperature has dropped considerably. Ken got off work early last night. I'm hoping he won't have to work today and we can all stay tucked up safe and warm. Really, I don't see how he would be able to get out of our street anyway.
  Today we're looking at these girls.


They're Baby Face dolls.(Pardon the nudity, but they don't have anything to wear.)

This is So Funny Natalie.
This is So Playful Beth.

Baby Face dolls were made by Galoob.



They were sold in 1990 and 1991.


They are strung,and jointed at the knees and elbows,making them very posable.



Baby Face dolls were designed by Mel Birnkrant,and inspired by Betty Boop and Kewpies. That accounts for their big eyes,and the cartoony appearance of their wide grins and chubby,splayed fingers


They're 13" tall.


There were extra outfits available for them.


 The line started with nine designs,which later became 36 designs from 19 different sculpts.


They have all super expressive faces.





Baby Face dolls were really popular. But for some reason Galoob ended their production after only two years.
 You may have seen another Baby Face doll,So Shy Sherri,which I got at the flea market HERE.



I love their big eyes and toothy smiles.


   Those are the dolls for today. See you again tomorrow. 

5 comments:

  1. I miss my So Surprised Suzie doll! Dang, these were cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well they are very happy (laugh). I don't know these dolls. I can see that they do look like Kewpies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now these I have heard of and actually seen, but only online, not in real life. I particularly like the tanned one, she has such a cute face and brilliant smile!
    They remind me a little bit of Cabbage Patch Kids, but it could just be their big round eyes.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention Cabbage Patch,as that was Baby Face's big rival. I believe Baby Face was second only to Cabbage Patch at one point during the Cabbage Patch craze.

      Delete
  4. I have seen these on commercials, but that's it

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.