Monday, January 14, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #14: Mary Poppins Week: 8" Mary

  A little news before I start on today's doll: Some of you may have heard by now that Emily at The Toybox Philosopher, has retired from blogging. Her last post, announcing this, was put up a couple of days ago. It was a bit sudden,and all comments are disabled,so we can't send her our goodbyes or wish her well. I'm not sure why she quit or why her departure was so sudden. It doesn't seem there was anything wrong,just that she is 'moving on'. It's still a little confusing. I'm going to miss Emily's sense of humour,beautiful photographs and super detailed reviews. Hers was one of the first few blogs I followed. In fact, in the last two or three years three of the first blogs I followed have ended. One was because of a death,(Vanessa at Van's Doll treasures passed away in 2017.),and in addition to Emily,Hannah at Never Grow Up closed up shop at her blog last year. Nothing lasts forever I guess.
  Now on to today's doll.
  This week we're going to celebrate the recent release of the movie "Mary Poppins Returns" with a week of Mary Poppins themed dolls. Today we're going to look at Mary herself.


There have been quite a few Mary Poppins dolls made,including several 60's dolls based on the original movie,dolls from the 2000's that were also based on the original movie,and the doll based on the new Mary Poppins movie.  Like this 16" doll...


...and this 12" one.
 

Today's doll was made by Horsman.



She was produced in 1964,around the time of the original "Mary Poppins" movie.


There were at least four versions of Mary Poppins dolls made by Horsman. There was a 12" and a 36 inch doll dressed like this doll...

All three have different face sculpts though.


There was a gift set too,which included the 12" doll,along with the Jolly Holiday dress,and the striped dress with apron,(which said 'Mary Poppins' across the chest).


There were two sets that also contained the Banks kids,one with the extra clothing and one without.

Jane looks like Ideal's Pepper,only stumpier.
This doll is 8 inches tall.


She has a short sleeved dress on under her coat.
 


She has black net tights and black boots.
 

The boots have high heels.


In spite of the high heeled boots, I managed to get Mary to stand on her own.
 

And of course she has her hat.
 

This hat has seen better days.
 

The hat is made of paper-like felt and it hasn't fared well over the years.

 

All her clothes are removable.



Her hat is still hooked to her head though.
 

I might eventually take it off, since it's in such bad shape anyway. But for now,I haven't. If I do, then I can fix her hair, which is in need of some touch up.
 

Her hair is quite long. I don't think Mary Poppins ever wore her hair down in the movie,but this girl basically has a long ponytail.


She would have originally come with Mary's famous carpet bag too,but she's missing hers.
She has the standard jointing at the neck, shoulders,and hips.



I think this doll has the prettiest face of the original three dolls. Since she's short,she'd make a good child doll to go with larger bodied fashion dolls like Tammy's family.
The character 'Mary Poppins' originated in a book of the same name by P.L. Travers,published in 1934. Travers wrote a total of eight Mary Poppins novels,the last being first published in 1988. All the books tell the adventures of Mary and the Banks children,Jane and Michael. In the books, Jane and Michael aren't the only Banks children though. In the first book there is also a set of twins,and in a later book there is a new baby girl as well.


The new movie, "Mary Poppins Returns" isn't based on any of the books, but takes at least one idea from a later book: the way Mary arrives.
 


 This particular doll belonged to a friend of mine. There's a story behind that,which we'll hear about later this year.


  Tomorrow we'll see another Mary Poppins themed doll...or dolls.

13 comments:

  1. I really like this girl a lot, she has a beautiful face and reminds me a little bit of my childhood Sindy, she would have made a great sister for Sindy and Patch her other sibling or friend, can't remember which she was now.
    I do enjoy watching Mary Poppins, the original film, despite having seen it maybe dozens of times in the past, it's till a favourite.
    I look forward to seeing more MP themed dolls tomorrow.
    As for Emily's blog, I too am sad that she's decided to end her dolly blogging, her posts were so good and informative. I shall miss her reviews of dolls that I'm probably unlikely to ever get but enjoy seeing. Having said that, I've enjoyed reading her posts on dolls that I do have, and comparing notes. I wish that we'd been able to leave a comment but maybe she thought this was the best way, a clean break. She will be missed by lots of dolly people, I'm sure.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She would make a great child doll. She's just the right size and she has a childlike face. I would love to get a Patch some day. I hear they are hard to come across though,even over there. Have you found that to be true?
      Emily also said alot of her dolls were 'moving out',so maybe she is tiring of the hobby. I suppose it would have defeated the purpose of quitting to accept comments. She got a lot of them and it would have kept her busy for ages just answering them.

      Delete
  2. I feel you about losing Emily and Hannah; their blogs were two of my favorites. Regarding your doll...what a cute face! You really can't beat Horsman dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a lot of the 60's Horsman baby dolls.

      Delete
  3. She's cute, but she also looks sad to me. Between that and the deteriorating hat and oversized coat, she looks like she could be an extra in "Annie."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does look a bit droopy. Pretty face though.

      Delete
  4. What a cute dolly. I think I am the only one in the US who hasn't seen Mary Poppins. I don't know how I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the new one. I hadn't seen the original until I had kids and showed it to them.

      Delete
  5. She really doesn't look like a grown up lady, does she. She looks more like a Dickensian urchin, to me. She's still lovely though.
    I actually teared up when I read Emily's post. So many blogs are disappearing, or being replaced with You Tube videos that I don't have the attention span for. Ugh. Depressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. These people become part of our lives. We read about their lives and even communicate with them through comments and replies. When they suddenly disappear it's like losing a friend.

      Delete
  6. It is good to hear from others missing Toy Box Philosopher. I hope everything is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One good thing about reading this years later, I know Emily's back! lol Should I have put a spoiler alert?? I like this doll but its kind of eerie that Mary doesn't look any older than Michael and Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone should know Emily is back.
      Yes, and this doll is the size of the Janes and Michaels that went with a couple of other Mary Poppins dolls.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.