Thursday, January 24, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #24: Disco Wanda (formerly Mystery Lady)

    Well, Lori's ablation was postponed due to another emergency the doctor had. So hang onto those prayers, good wishes, happy thoughts, and positive vines for a later date.
   Today's pictures were taken yesterday while the temperature was a much-warmer-than-it-has-been-lately 44 degrees Fahrenheit, and the snow was melting and dripping everywhere. There were splashes coming off everything,and some fine rain spitting,so the doll kept getting water specks on her face. Several times my camera lens fogged up. (It actually made for some nice pictures.) I swear there were still a few snow flakes settling too. There's no way it could be melting and snowing at the same time,but this is Ohio, The weather has a mind of it's own.
  Update to this post: A kind reader has informed me that this lady is Disco Wanda, made by Shindana in 1978. Debbie at Black Doll Collecting has done a good post on the Disco Wanda dolls,with  pictures of different Disco Wanda,(and Disco Juanita) dolls, and even an ad or two. you can see that post HERE.


She's obviously meant to be a Barbie competitor,but who is she?


She's the same size as Barbie,with similar hands and high heel feet.



She also has click bend type legs, minus the sound,and with only one bend.
 She has an interesting face,with a big, open mouthed smile.


She can look a little over enthusiastic from some angles, but I like her. She looks happy and friendly.


Her head is on a ball joint, so she can tilt her head.


Water specks everywhere!
Her hair is quite long.


I'm sure it had better curl when she was new.


Her twist waist allows her to turn.


Her body is shattered where the waist joins,so she's having trouble keeping things together.



She's wearing a Mommy made winter coat with a sheepskin collar,(ew!).


She's marked only 'Hong Kong' on her upper back. I got her in a load of auction stuff a while back. When I got her she was wearing a homemade dress,so that didn't help with identification either.


Thanks to Andrea Wilson for the information on Wanda!
  See you tomorrow for another doll.

8 comments:

  1. She's very pretty, and I don't usually like open mouthed smiley dolls like this, but she does look good. I like that she seems like a 'real' African American doll rather than a Barbie type Caucasian doll that's been produced with darker skin.
    I hope that someone is able to tell you who she is though.
    I also hope your friend's operation is soon and successful.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We have had a comment telling us her identity. She's Disco Wanda. And thank you for your concern. Lori is waiting to hear when her ablation will be.

      Delete
  2. She's a Shindana Disco Wanda! I've only seen photos of this doll, and I think she has one of the best big smiles--she's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is indeed! Thanks! I'll update the information on the post.

      Delete
  3. She's great. She looks like she's about to burst out laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know this doll but I do know Shindana. It was a Black doll company and their dolls did look more realistic. The company was around for about twenty years. I remember that it made baby dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love her, but it seems they gave her a receding hairline!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.