Sunday, March 3, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #62: Talking PJ

  Today's doll is Talking P.J..


   P.J. was Barbie's Mod Era friend.



P.J. first appeared in 1969,as a talking doll.


This doll is Talking P.J.,but unfortunately,she no longer talks. She does still have her pull ring though.



She also has a malady common amongst Barbie and her talking friends: her legs have fallen off.

Hanging on by a thread. Or,should I say, a rubber band...

Many Talking Barbie and friends dolls have had their legs fall off, even in boxes that have never been opened. They are the standard click bend legs of the era. 


I don't know why the talking dolls are prone to losing their legs. It might have something to do with the talking mechanism taking up space inside where a better leg joint should be.
  The Midge head sculpt was used for P.J.,which was fine, since Midge wasn't using it any more. Midge was discontinued in 1967.



These are P.J..'s original dress,shorts, and sunglasses.




The sunglasses are still attached to her head.


P.J. also came with beaded hair bands wrapped around her ponytails.She has very long rooted eyelashes and brown eyes,. (Yay! More brown eyes!),and some heavy duty blue eye shadow.


The next year,1970, Twist and Turn P.J. was introduced. She wore a bathing suit instead of the mini dress and bloomers that talking P.J. wore.




She had her own Sears exclusive gift set too,which included the doll, and an exclusive outfit called  Swingin N' Silver.




Live Action PJ was sold in 1971,and still used the Midge head sculpt. There was a gift set for her, called The PJ Fashion 'N Motion Gift Set.


   All further PJ dolls had the Steffie head sculpt.


Tomorrow we'll take a look at another doll.

8 comments:

  1. I really like the fabric of this girls mini dress, it's so bright and pretty and it's such a throwback to the late 60s. She's in great condition too by the look of your photos.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is,except for not talking,and the leg problem. I forgot to say that I got her at a toy show,where a guy was walking around trying to sell a double Barbie case with clothes and this doll and a mod era Barbie. Dolls are a hard sell at toy shows,but there was a dealer there who deals in Barbie stuff amongst the action figures. I thought they might buy his stuff. They didn't though. We were just customers at the show,and we talked him down and got it.

      Delete
  2. She is definitely "groovy." I really don't know anyone who said that, by the way (laugh). She makes me think of Twiggy.
    Did we skip March 2 - #62? I am only asking because I don't want to get a bad grade on the final because I missed an assignment (chuckle).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go to the head of the class Dorothy. #62 is indeed missing! It's a tangled story I will detail tomorrow,but I am working on fixing it right now. And don't worry.We'll review before the test.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the face on the talking one better than the one that came after. Did they use the face of the talking one for a non-talking at some point? I had the PJ with the rose dress. I remembered her as a Barbie doll, so had one heck of a time finding her on Ebay to see. I LOVE roses and always have, so she was one of my prized dolls. Despite the fact that I forgot she was PJ and not Barbie. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the Twist and Turn PJ and the Live Action PJ used the same head as the talking one. The one you had was the Sweet Roses PJ, right? She had the Steffie head sculpt, which is one of the most popular Barbie/friends sculpts, and is still used sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I tried every combination I could think of for Rose Barbie! Oh well, I know who she is now. And I still love roses.

      Delete
  6. I had live action Barbie. She had a stage she danced and sang on. She came with a 45 record entitled "I'm Happy I'm Barbie". I still have it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.