Friday, March 29, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #87: Wanda Walker

  Today doll is similar to the Finger Ding dolls of the 1960's and early 1970's. She 's this girl.


Her name is Wanda Walker.


Her box calls her an 'antique replica',but I think that just means she's an antique style doll, and not a replica of any previous doll.


She was made by Shackman in 1978. She is, as I said, a simlar idea to the Finger Ding dolls. (You can see my posts on Finger Ding dolls HERE,and HERE.) As with the finger Dings, the human provides the doll's legs by way of their fingers.



I'm assuming this doll was made for a child because the holes for the fingers to be poked through the doll's body were a tight squeeze.


The shoes that fit onto the tips of the fingers to provide the doll's feet were even tighter.


  Do you know how hard it is to turn your hand around so that a doll on it is facing forward so you can take it's picture?!
 

Her arms are jointed.

She has a little pocket with a handkerchief in it.

   After a while I figured out that it was easier to just photograph her upside down and rotate the picture. It was a lot easier than trying to rotate my hand!

 





  I'm fat, but I have small hands and fingers.  The shoes were getting pretty tight by the time I got finished! I might have tried  for more interesting pictures, but I had to get those things off!


With my short fingers she is about 7 inches tall.



See you tomorrow for another doll.


8 comments:

  1. I had to laugh, you look like you're cutting off the blood supply to your fingers in some of the last photos! But a fun concept for kids I'm sure ;)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right!Those shoes were definitely made for smaller fingers than mine!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting doll.
    There is a scene in The Gay Divorcee (one of my favorite movies) where the Edward Everett Horton character is playing with a doll like this. He is an attorney sitting in his office and a potential client walks in. So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. She certainly can be! I need to remember where I put her, but send me your email, which I won't publish of course, and we can sort something out.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. Hi Tam, I got your email. I responded. Still interested.
      Please respond to my new email in my email sent to you. Thank you

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.