Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #85: Ivy's Collection: Homemade Nesting Dolls

  Today's doll is this nesting doll from Ivy's collection.


There is one more that isn't in the picture!
  You may have seen the other set of nesting dolls that I painted as our family for Ivy. If not, you can see those HERE.
  The largest doll is 2 and 1/4 inches tall.



The smallest is so small we call it 'the crumb'.


I was so scared of losing it that I didn't even photograph it in the photo of all of the nests. I only did it with the one it's inside of, for comparison.


In the end I had Ivy hold it for me, because she swears it has a face, but it's so small I couldn't see where it is!




I made these for Ivy one Christmas.
 
This one is my favourite. I think she has sort of a 1930's look.



Ivy insists that nesting dolls are no good unless they have a lot of nests. So I bought a blank set with LOTS of nests!

This one is Ivy's favourite.


They were hard to paint. Where do you hold them while you paint? I ended up wedging the halves of the bigger ones on top of a shampoo bottle!


And of course, the smaller they got, the harder they were to hold.




I have no idea how I painted the tiniest ones.



I would like to think I could do a better job on these if I did it now, but...



  That's the doll for today. See you again tomorrow for another doll.

11 comments:

  1. WOW, you did those??? They're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but once I started this post I was almost too embarrassed to show them! I would like to think I could do better now.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I’m so impressed. You did a great job painting these tiny nesting dolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks, but I don't like the really tiny ones. I think they look awful! I didn't have me close up glasses then,and that's my excuse!

      Delete
  3. These are amazing, you did a really good job on them, but yes, how on earth did you do those little tiny ones! I have a set of nesting dolls and thought my smallest one was tiny, but that really is minute!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think I put the little ones on the tip of a pair of tweezers and opened them enough to expand into the inside of the doll.I can't remember what I put the tiniest ones on. Maybe nothing. That's my excuse for why they look so awful!

      Delete
  4. I've always liked nesting dolls though I have none. The ones that you've made are amazing. I especially like the first set that you put the link to. But all of these are just incredibly detailed and I that tiny little doll is unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Ivy insists on many nests,so this one more than qualified. Trying to hold those little ones and paint them drove me crazy.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, all of the sets are adorable. I love crumb! I can see why you would be so careful with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was afraid of losing the one the crumb was in, so there was no way I was going to mess around with the crumb!

      Delete
  6. I think you did a fantastic job! They would be the pride of my own collection - ones my Mom painted for me. I love the dolls with tons of nests too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.