Friday, March 15, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #74: When I Read I Dream Anne of Green Gables

  We're going to celebrate Women's History Month today with a famous female character from literature, written by a female author. Today's doll may look a little familiar, but she's not who you might think she is at first. She's Anne of Green Gables.


She's from the When I Read I Dream series,like Fern,otherwise known as Tammy World.

 

She shares the face sculpt with all the other dolls in the When I Read I Dream series,Fern, from Charlotte's Web, Jo, from Little Women,and Heidi,from,well,you know.



She's about 8" tall.


I used Emma's doll, since hers was still wearing all her original clothes...except her shoes. So of course I couldn't find the shoes to my Anne or hers! She does have her original dress,tights, hat,and her school books.


 

She's jointed at the neck,shoulders,and hips, and has click bend knees.


The When I Read I Dream dolls have the body used for Barbie's sister Stacie in the 90's. Before Stacie the body was  marked 'Those Characters From Cleveland', and used on the Lady Lovelylocks dolls.


  "Anne of Green Gables"  was first published in 1908


The book was written by Lucy Maud Montgomery. Montgomery was inspired to write her book by this photograph of model and actress Evelyn Nesbit. She said the picture showed, "a nostalgia for girlhood... a time of innocence, wonder, and discovery."




   There were several "Anne of Green Gables" sequels written, as well as a much later prequel written by another author, and authorized by Montgomery's heirs. There have been many adaptations of the books as movies, TV series', and musicals.
   It has been believed that Montgomery got the idea for the Anne books from a story suggestion she wrote in an old notebook. But it wasn't just one of her old story ideas. It was based on an actual incident. In 1911 she wrote in her journal: “The idea of getting a child from an orphan asylum was suggested to me years ago as a possible germ for a story by the fact that Pierce Macneill got a little girl from one, and I jotted it down in my notebook”. Pierce Macneill was the cousin of Montgomery's grandfather. He and his wife Rachel applied to adopt an orphan boy in 1892, to help out with chores on their farm, which was directly across from the Green Gables farm in Cavendish At the same time, their neighbors John and Annie Clark  also applied for a male orphan. But when the children arrived at the station,instead of two boys,there was a five-year-old boy and his three-year-old sister. The Macneills contacted the orphanage,but were told that there weren't enough boys, and the orphanage  wanted to keep the siblings together,so they had sent the girl with her brother. The Macneills did adopt the girl, who they named Ellen Macneill. Researchers have tried to find out Ellen's real name and family, but have had no luck. It's not even certain where the children came from, although it has been suggested that they had been brought from England or Nova Scotia. Sadly, neither family chose to adopt Ellen's brother,and no one knows what happened to him after he was returned to the orphanage. Although Anne was based on Ellen's story, Montgomery said, "There is no resemblance of any kind between Anne and Ellen Macneill who is one of the most hopelessly commonplace and uninteresting girls imaginable" . That's not very nice Lucy Maud!

  See you tomorrow for another doll.

11 comments:

  1. I love this series, just because some varied looking Stacie dolls came out of it, but the outfits are really incorrect, in general. Even Fern in the illustrations for the book, wore overalls with shorts and not an overall with a skirt. Much more appropriate for sitting next to a pigpen, listening to barn animals talk, I think. And I always think poor Fern's shoes look more appropriate for Ronald McDonald. XD

    I never knew the bodies were originally used for Lady Lovelylocks dolls. I have to say I prefer these over the new Stacie bodies, which I think are a bit too thin, and the arms and legs too long and spindly. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these bodies have much more realistic proportions than the current ones. That's why I hated switching Tammy World to a jointed body, because she lost her cute legs that way.
      I think you have a pint about those shoes!

      Delete
  2. I loved Anne of Green Gables growing up and I remember being REALLY confused when this doll came out. I wanted her because she was Anne, but I refused to buy her because I hated her dress so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like her dress, but I'm not sure how accurate it is for the character. Most Anne of Green Gables dolls are dressed for the scene where she gets picked up at the train station.

      Delete
    2. I agree with Rachael that this outfit isn't really right for the character as she appears in the books, but I kind of made that point up above.

      I did forget to mention, though, that I've read a lot of L.M.M.'s short stories that she wrote for magazines, and many of them feature orphans who were separated, lost touch, then found each other or the other's descendants later on through coincidences. So Ellen's story influenced Montgomery's writing in other ways as well. Too bad Ellen apparently never got the fairy tale ending.

      Delete
    3. I guess it really did leave an impression on her. It is so sad that no one wanted the poor little boy. They had both wanted boys, so how awful was that kid that neither wanted him?

      Delete
  3. What a pleasant face this doll has. I did not read Anne of Green Gables who know the story. Thanks for this information.
    I hope you are enjoying your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is pretty and this outfit looks sweet on her.
    I love the freckles and the plaits.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Anne of Green Gables. In fact I still own the entire series - all 8 books! I read the series several times when I was younger. The mini series from the 80’s was great too. I don’t like the newer Netflix series as much. Your doll is really cute, though I don’t know if she looks much like the Anne I always pictured in my mind. My daughter owns a Madame Alexander Anne doll that we found at a yard sale. I don’t think that doll looks much like I imagined Anne of Green Gables looking like either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you are as critical on interpretations of Anne as I am with ones of Alice!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.