Sunday, March 17, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #76: Sausage Curl Skipper

  I'm baaa-aaaack!  Happy St. Patrick's Day! Lori and I got back from Georgia last night. We looked at a few houses, and Lori thinks she might have found one.
  We left Wednesday afternoon. Tammy World was raring to go.

"Who said you were even going?" Tammy: "Me!"
  We went pretty far down in Georgia. It was very warm Thursday. We looked at some houses where tons of flowers were in bloom. When I left home the temperatures were not nearly as warm. My poor daffodils aren't even up all the way, but they have buds. This is why Lori wants to move south. She's sick of the cold. Of course, today it snowed here again!
   I was hopping happy when I spotted some Shoney's restaurants! I thought they were hard to find these days, but they were everywhere down there. I hadn't been to a Shoney's in years, since the last time we took a vacation in the south. Ivy, who will be 20 this year was probably about 3 the last time. Shoney's do a great breakfast buffet, with the fluffiest scrambled eggs and a really good,(although probably artificial) cheese sauce. I got a buffet breakfast to go on Friday. I couldn't eat it all at once, but it lasted me all day.


It's hard to tell, but there are pancakes, biscuit, mixed mystery fruit, spiced apples. fried potatoes, grits, and cinnamon bread sticks. Bit heavy on the starches.

By Friday though, it was really windy and starting to get cold, even in Georgia.

Lori's dog Dante' wasn't enjoying the wind.

There was sand!

    It was chilly, and the strong winds made it even colder. It was drizzly too.

Peanuts and pecans, two of Georgia's biggest crops...

...and swamps, another one.

These little flowers were blooming in a cotton field belonging to one of the properties Lori looked at.

Lori travels with her dogs, including this one, a nine week old sheltie she has only had a week.

It got so cold that I went back to a long sleeved shirt on Saturday.


And Tammy World changed to a sweater.

  The south is literally covered with Kudzu, and it's honestly kind of creepy looking.



  We headed home Friday night, but were still in Georgia when we set back off on Saturday morning.

It was chilly, but the skies in Tennessee were blue on Saturday.

A little farther North, Kentucky was also sunny and cold. I ended up putting my winter coat on.

The trees were blooming in Kentucky
It looked sunny and warm as Lori let the new sheltie potty again. It was sunny, but not warm!

  When I got home I found that while I was gone Ken had caught up on the laundry, cleaned up his stove messes, refilled my prescriptions, and restocked my deodorant. When he got home he surprised me with a belated birthday cake he made for me. It's the kind I make for him, and it takes ages to make, so he had spent a while on that and then gone to work that day. What a sweet guy!
  Tomorrow we'll look at my birthday present doll, what Emma brought me for my birthday from her recent trip to London, and what I bought on my trip.
  Today is a brief post looking at this doll.


She's a Sausage Curl Skipper.


Sausage Curl dolls were produced in 1969 and 1970.


They have rooted eyelashes, twist waists, and click bend knees.


This girl is wearing a rare coat, from the 1969 Sears gift set Bright 'N Breezy. and a shirt, from the Sears exclusive fashion set, Young Ideas, which was sold from 1970 to 1973. The Bright 'N Breezy set came with a blonde Sausage Curl doll.

This 1969 Sears ad is confusing me.

  See you tomorrow!

8 comments:

  1. I’m glad you had a good time on your trip. Now that Lori is moving to Georgia, it gives you an opportunity to make more trips down south to visit her! You drove through my state!! We did have a few warm days last week, but the weekend was pretty cold and it’s only 30•F right now as I type this. Of course that’s pretty typical for this time of year in KY - warm one day and freezing the next! I hope your weather at home warms up soon.

    Your skipper doll is really cute! I love her curls and her eyelashes. And I love her coat! Green is my favorite color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never have a car that can make it that far! I figure when Lori moves south I'll never see her again.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you had a great (and successful for Lori) trip, it also sounds like it was a very long drive. I remember Shoney's from my holidays in Florida, I also remember the 'eat all you can buffet breakfasts', I loved the links and the bacon, I also loved the Ponderosa chain too, they did great buffet breakfasts too. I didn't think there were many of either chains now, so it's good to hear that Shoney's is still going.
    I like your Skipper, and look forward to hearing what presents you got for your birthday and from your daughter's trip :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I forgot one birthday gift,so that'll be posted soon.

      Delete
  3. I am glad Lori may have found a house.
    I am glad you are back. We missed you, Teach.
    Some of the students in the back row were goofing off, but not me. I always sit in the front and raise my hand (laugh).
    What a cutie doll. I love the green coat. I would wear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken made a pretty good substitute. I hope you behaved for him.

      Delete
  4. Ken is so sweet! He reminds me of my Mom's Ken. We had a Shoney's in KC, MO and went there often. I used to have the plastic Shoney's kid.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.