Friday, March 8, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #66: Barbie's '60th' Week: Hair Fair Barbie

  Ok, this is a cheat. There never was a Hair Fair Barbie. Hair Fair was just a head with short hair, with hair pieces, a wiglet, and a wig.
 
 
But I love these Hair Fair heads. They were beautiful.

Hair Fair on the left is wearing 'Night Clouds' from 1968. Hair Fair on the right is wearing 'Dream-Ins' from 1969. I think that ribbon should have been tied in the back.

 

 

Most of them were high colour and they have rooted eyelashes.

 

They were originally sold in 1966, but were also available in 1968 and 1970.


They were sold so kids could switch heads on the Barbie they already had,(And a lot of us were already expert at popping Barbie's head off. It was the only way to get some of our doll clothes on her!), and voila! A new Barbie.


These girls had to borrow Twist n' Turn bodies again.





 Sorry about the pajamas again, but I'm limited on my Mod Era clothes, and these matched their colouring better than anything else I had...all of.
 


And the hair pieces enabled the new doll to be changed into more 'different dolls'.


The barrette on the ringlets is a blue version of Tutti's friend Chris's green barrette.


The Hair Fair heads were sold in brunette or blonde only. 

These are both Hair Fair heads, but they are definitely not identical. I don't know if they are different years, or just different.

You may have seen my post on my brunette Hair Fair.

You can see this post HERE.

The blonde head came with a brunette wig, and vice versa. The wig doesn't fit especially well over the hair that's already on the head.


How does this thing go?! DO I have it on straight? I thought it might have been on backwards, or sideways, but no. This is it. Why is it longer on one side? Fashion Queen Barbie was never this difficult!

That looks a bit better. Maybe she just needs a comb out.


And I can't really deal with the hair pieces either.

What do you do with this stiff piece of braid?

Well that looks ridiculous. There is a piece of elastic to hold it on, but that won't hold the sides down. Anyway, the elastic is broken,.

It doesn't really look any better if I hold it down.

Well, maybe.

 There was a 'Hair Happenin's' Barbie produced in 1971. She was a Sears exclusive, and had centered eyes and red hair, and came with hair pieces.


It was basically the same idea, only with a body and clothes. I'd LOVE to have a Hair Happenings doll, but she is rare and VERY expensive. (There was also a Hair Happenin's Francie, but she is more affordable.) For some reason the Hair Fair heads are usually pretty cheap. 

  
Maybe it's because the bodies are harder to get than good heads. Those Twist n' Turn bodies have problems. The legs break. They get dark spots. They yellow. They fall off! But I feel the Hair Fair heads don't get the respect they deserve.


 When you get a really nice Hair Fair head you can have yourself a beautiful doll.

 

 

Tomorrow we'll check out another vintage Barbie. See you then.

14 comments:

  1. Oooo, you've got Floating Gardens! Love that outfit. LOL, when I found my Hair Fair head she was on a Francie body! I never dreamed that would work out, but it surprisingly worked out pretty well! The only problem is that she's uniformly yellowed all over. Your girls are lovely, as usual. Hair Happenin's is on my wish list too; can't beat red hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they always say it's risky because the face paint could fade, but I've had really good luck using plain old sunlight to help yellowed dolls. It may take a while if they are really yellowed. Just keep an eye on the face paint and make sure it's not fading.
      I got that Floating Gardens at a yard sale! The story is at: http://planetofthedolls.blogspot.com/2013/08/fantastic-finds-of-week.html
      Actually,I don't have Floating Gardens anymore.I ad to sell it to pay for all the stuff I kept. But I got to enjoy it for a while.

      Delete
  2. Yes these girls (heads!) really are beautiful. I’d love to someday have the Fair Hair repro set that came out not long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that repro set. It looks great, but I'm always a bit disappointed with repros. They can never be close enough to the original for me. Although I have been looking at the Mod gift set!

      Delete
  3. These are very beautiful heads, I love the profile photos. Of course I've never heard of these heads or the fact that you could buy them on their own. As for the hair pieces, I'd be at a loss as to what to do with those too!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, Happy International Women's Day! I totally forgot this was Women's History Month.
    Second, oh my goodness, Barbie's head comes off? I don't think I every saw anyone take off her head. I don't think the first Barbies had head removal ability.
    Sometimes I think I have lost my head over the years but my Barbie still has hers (laugh).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The modern barbie's have that neck joint that makes it so the head won't come off,for safety reasons. SO the head won't pop off, but it will break off. Big improvement.

      Delete
    2. Be real careful if u decide to remove a head. Watch a youtube video for tips. The device has backwards "hooks" that you have to work around, at leadt in newer Barbies.

      Delete
    3. Yes. The old ones just had a neck knob and popped off easily. I should have mentioned that you do have to be wary of doing that these days,as the heads may have become hard or brittle, and you may split the neck trying to remove them now. The heads may also be too hard or brittle to put ON a body too. The modern Barbie's do have those terrible prongs on their neck attachments,and you're right. If you aren't very careful,you can break the delicate attachment off tying to remove the head, and then you can't attach a head at all.

      Delete
  5. I think all the early Barbie's heads came off. It's the modern ones that don't. We had fashion Queen Barbie and Swirl ponytail Barbies when we were kids, and we sure took those off. It's why you often find a Midge head on a Skipper body or Francie body with a Barbie head. They just popped off. i have lost my head occasionally, but more often my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these dolls and this era. I still have the brunette ringlets thing. The barrette is mangled but workable. I have no memory of this having the set, but i was very young, born 1961. I love your pics and blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love her face! Now why didn't they make that face WITH a body more often? I was laughing at you trying to use the hairpieces. I would not have done any better. And you don't have to apologize for showing their jammies. They are nicer than anything I would wear and a bit too risque for me, but they are still just night wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They preproduced the Hair Fair heads a few years ago too, with a body that time! I almost bought one, but I have these and they'll do. They are some of my favourite Barbies. It's too bad I don't have enough bodies for everybody to have one at the same time! They have to share. It's one of those 'only one sister can leave the house at a time' things!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.