Monday, March 11, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #70: Erna Meyer Dollhouse Lady

  Yesterday was my birthday, and we'll hear about that tomorrow. I'm going to be away a few days this week, so today,on Ken's day off,I'm just hanging out with him.
  It's Women's History Month, so today we're going to talk about a female entrepreneur. We're looking at this fine lady.

Yes, that picture on the wall over the couch is sideways. It kept falling off and I was getting pretty frustrated.In the end I slapped it up there and when it stayed I left it.I didn't even realize it was sideways until I looked at the pictures days later!
Ok, well, she's not as fine as she used to be! She's (I'm pretty sure.),an Erna Meyer dollhouse doll.


  You may have seen Dollhouse Lady before. She usually hangs out in the dollhouse kitchen making cookies or something.

Who keeps their canisters on the stove? Move those things!
That's better. Boy,you sure work fast!


She got tired of that and decided to go into the living room.

No! Wait! Get back here!
  Erna Meyer was a German lady who began making dolls for family and friends. It was 1945, and materials were short because the war had just ended. Erna made her dolls from scrap wool,fabric, and floral wire. Her dolls were so well liked that her family and friends encouraged her to make more dolls and sell them.
  In 1950 her dolls were exhibited at the Nuremberg Toy Fair.  They went down so well that Erna was able to hire employees,and her business was born.
    The company is still in business, run by the family of Erna Meyer,and still making their cute dollhouse dolls.You can go to the Erna Meyer website HERE, and watch a film about the company. Be aware, the film is in German. Even if you don't speak German, you can still enjoy the visuals. You can also order dolls, and even have one made to order.
  The dollhouse dolls had hand painted stockingette faces.

 

They also had stockinette legs, with cloth feet and cardboard shoe soles.

Her stockings have seen better days. I think they're long past the clear nail polish save!

Her little shoes look more like slippers.
Later dollhouse dolls had thread wrapped legs,and in the mid 60's they switched to plastic feet.
I'm not sure what the hair is made of.




  Erna's dolls included full size play dolls as well as dollhouse dolls,but all with that distinctive Erna Meyer face.


   I think this lady must be from the earliest production years,from the way she's dressed.


I think she may be the teacher from the school set.


  I was posing her for her photos and something became very obvious:
 
"Hello?Hello? They don't seem to be able to hear me..."
Can you see what I'm talking about? That dress did not start life light blue.


Her face doesn't seem to have faded though.


  She actually seems a little tall for 1/12,or dollhouse scale.She's more than 6" tall. She's at least 6 1/2" tall. Dollhouse women usually run about 5 or 5 1/2" tall, and the men run about 6" tall. I guess she's just a tall lady.


Ok. You can go back to the kitchen now.
"Thanks a lot."
"Now all I'm going to be thinking is, 'that rug needs vacuuming'."
  See you tomorrow for another doll.

10 comments:

  1. Lovely doll with a lovely home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely dolls these are, I had heard of this maker and it was nice to see that film, thanks for the link.
    My dolls house occupants are a mixture of hand made (by me from Fimo/polymer clay) and some that are porcelain heads and limbs with body and clothing made by me, so to see this lovely lady is really nice.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed it. You probably have some lovely dolls.

      Delete
  3. Interesting doll. I kept thinking, "she is a sturdy lady." She reminds me of Katharine Hepburn.
    I hope you feel better. I hope you had a great birthday celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose if she had red hair she would really look Hepburn-y.

      Delete
  4. You mentioned that the doll's scale seems a little off, and that got me curious. I wonder, how does this doll compare scale-wise to a vintage Dawn doll? If you don't have any Dawn dolls for comparison, then just ignore this comment. Your doll is a treasure regardless. I've seen a few dolls that were similar in antique stores over the years. But the dolls I've seen were made to look like little girls, not adult women.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's taller than a Dawn. A Dawn would fit dollhouse scale better.

      Delete
  5. I like her, there is something about her. But should she leave the baby all alone so much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry. That knitting in the background belongs to Erna Meyer Grandma, who is hanging out in the living room.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.