Sunday, March 24, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #83: Ivy's Collection: Nesting Kokeshi Doll

  Today's dolls are three sets from Ivy's collection of nesting dolls.



These are Kokeshi dolls. Kokeshi dolls have been made in Japan for over 300 years. The name may have come from the Japanese words for 'wooden',(ki),small,(ko), and doll, (keshi). They were originally made as guardians for children. They later became popular tourists items. Today they are still considered good luck and are kept in Japanese homes as protection. The traditional dolls are very simple,solid wooden dolls,without arms or legs,painted black,red, and yellow,and coated with wax. The face is simply painted, with little detail.


These dolls aren't just kokeshi dolls though. They are also nesting dolls.

This is one of Ivy's favourites in her collection. I was trying to hide it from her when I brought it home, but she saw it. She got excited because she knew it was a nesting doll. I told her it wasn't a nesting doll. Instead I told her it was a toothpick holder! She believed it,so she was surprised when I gave it to her and told her it was indeed a nesting doll.
These also have another feature Kokeshi dolls don't usually have: bobble heads!

These only have three dolls,and only the first two have bobble heads.


It was hard to get them all to face forward at the same time because of the bobbly heads.

All of the nests in Ivy's favourite set have bobble heads except the very last one.




Kokeshi dolls with the wobbly heads are called Nanbu kokeshi.




These aren't traditional Kokeshi dolls. These would be called  'creative kokeshi' dolls,which would have been made after WWII.




  For those of you who were interested in the mini pocket knife Ivy got for me,she says she thinks it came from AliExpress,or possibly Wish.  
 

  Tomorrow we'll look at another doll.

11 comments:

  1. Neat! I didn't know kokeshi dolls could also be nesting dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a pair of old Kokeshi dolls with bobble heads, I didn't know there was a special name for the bobble headed ones! I also didn't know you could get nesting ones! These are really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really neat. I had no idea there was such a thing as Japanese nesting dolls! I have a set of the traditional Russian nesting dolls, but I’d never seen anything like these before. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivy has tons of the Russian type ones,so I was really excited to find that first one of these for her.She's very picky about her nesting dolls, but she was excited too.

      Delete
  4. Well, add my name to the "didn't know about these dolls" list. They are lovely.
    I think you stumped the class with this lesson, Teach. We all learned something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are the only nesting ones I've ever seen too.

      Delete
  5. These are lovely, no wonder they are Ivy's favourites.
    I feel that my grandmother had something very similar to these but not nesting ones, it's just a vague memory, so I can't be sure.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has some nice nesting dolls,but that first nesting kokeshi was so unique that she immediately loved it.

      Delete
  6. My uncle was going on a European trip and asked Mom what she wanted. One of the places he was going was Russia. So Mom got a set of hand painted nesting dolls. I should have asked him if he would get me a set too. lol I like these, I didn't know any other kind of dolls had this nesting ability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess nesting kokeshi dolls are unusual.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.