Friday, March 8, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #67:Barbie's '60th' Week: Talking Barbie, Side Ponytail

  Today's Barbie's 60th birthday Week doll is this lovely girl.



And she's very embarrassed about the hole in her stocking. (She was hoping it wouldn't show.) So please don't mention it.

  She's a Talking Barbie, but she's different from the 'Nape Curl' Talking Barbie we looked at the other day.

 

This one is the side ponytail Talking Barbie.




She was the first version of Talking Barbie.


  I thought that tail was a braid, but it's actually just a ponytail with three ribbons.


This version of Talking Barbie came out in 1968.


She's wearing Little Bow Pink from 1969-70.




I am trying to get a little ahead of things, because Sunday is my birthday, and I won't be home. Also,My friend Lori,who you may have read about here,has sold her house,and we'll be taking a trip to Georgia on Wednesday to look at houses. Yes, she's moving away. I don't make friends very easily. I meet few people I like, and even fewer I would spend time with. So I'm really going to miss Lori. She's my only local friend besides my family. We've been friends since High School.


  So anyway, I was trying to get some extra photos done today. It was hard enough because my back,hips, and legs have been bothering me a lot this week, on top of which, I have a lousy cold. Well, of course things can never go easily. During the photo shoot for today's doll,my camera battery died. My batteries don't hold a charge any more,so the one that was already charged was dead already. Ken has done something with my charger, so I couldn't find it. So I had an abbreviated photo shoot.


One thing actually did work out for a change. I started taking her picture yesterday,without doing her hair. This is the way it was when I got her.

She looks very similar to the Hair Fair heads we saw yesterday.

I knew she needed three hot pink hair ribbons, but I didn't think I had any. But I did!

 


 I had a roll of hot pink ribbon. It's not the right kind, but it works. At least something worked out because my week has been crap.


Of course,not everything could possibly work out. How do I get this thing to lay down?!

 So now she has new hair ribbons to go with the new body she had to borrow,because,as a Talking Barbie her legs, and even one arm,had fallen off!
 
She was a torso with one arm. She did still have her pull ring though. Not that she works.
This version of Talking Barbie came as a redhead,a blonde,or a brunette,in various shades of brown hair. She would have looked like this in her box.


 The bathing suit was a two piece with hot pink vinyl bottom and a knitted sweatery top. Who swims in something like that?!



   I was disappointed with my pictures for this post,but my battery died and these were all I got,so cut me a little slack.


  Why is it the dolls with no arms and legs have the best heads, with nice colouring and all their eye lashes and hair?!




Oh! There was one other good thing this week! I actually won something! I never win anything! I'm on a few doll Facebook pages, and one had a contest for best coat photo. There were one hundred entries, and I was one of the ten chosen! I won with this picture of my Patience doll, wearing a coat set by Franklin Mint for their Princess Anastasia doll.


There were ten winners, but only five prizes, so it was first come first served. I chose the modern Terri Lee School Days outfit. Now my repro Terri Lee won't have to be naked anymore. 




  That's it for today.



  Tomorrow,if I can get my battery charged, we'll see another Barbie.

19 comments:

  1. She looks great. I love the ribbons. They have a lovely colour. And her face is also lovely.

    Too bad to about your camera batteries, the doll's body and your health.

    Sad that Lori is moving. It is good to have some great friends. I myself meet few people that I do not like, but even fewer that I like so much that I would go out of my way to spend time with any of them.

    Congratulations on winning the competition.

    I hope that you will have a very happy birthday 🌠 (mine will be this Wednesday).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your kind comments.Luckily Ken found the battery charger and also another battery. Happy birthday to you too!

      Delete
    2. Wow, so many of us Pisces girls, here. Happy birthday!

      Delete
  2. Well you may not have been happy with your photos but I think they're fine and very bright and cheerful, Barbie certainly does like the hot pink for her outfits too, doesn't she! I think this is another pretty faced Barbie and her hair looks good in that side pony tail.
    I hope you feel better soon, and I'm sorry to hear that your friend Lori is moving away, I can understand how you are feeling.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you.
      I'm not usually that big on 'Barbie pink', but I really like that dress.
      I'm still dragging with this cold,but I'll make ti.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday! Here is something to make you smile. I am still older (laugh). Uh, now I am sad.
    Congratulations on being a winner. That is your birthday gift from the universe.
    I love the look of this Barbie. What did she say when she spoke?
    Feel better soon. The teacher cannot be sick. They don't hire substitutes any longer. There's no money in the budget. They will just stick us in with another class and then we won't learn anything (chuckle).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My birthday gift from the universe: I like that! I tried to find a commercial that had her speaking, but I couldn't. I should look that up and include wat she said. Maybe I'll update the post.I still have a dreadful cold,but I won't leave you with a substitute. You know how the class tends to act up for them!

      Delete
    2. She said "I have a date, tonight" or something similar. She had about 5 phrases and i cant believe i can't remember them as i pulled those strings a million times!

      Delete
    3. Thank you. I couldn't find anything that told what she said.

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday! Technically it's Sunday. We're going out of town this afternoon for my brother-in-law's 50th birthday party, but I forget what day his birthday actually is.

    I love that pink dress that Talking Barbie is wearing, but it's not a style very many can pull off. Congrats on winning the outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, the dress is what they called 'baby doll style'. I guess Lolita influenced fashion!

      Delete
  5. I’m so sorry that your friend is moving. I recall you mentioning her often over the years on this blog. I too have a hard time making close friends and it’s so difficult when they move. I wish I lived closer to you so we could be friends. If you are ever in KY, we could get together. That would be fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As far as the doll's original bathing suit goes, I think some real life bathing suits were designed more to look stylish than for actual swimming, especially back then. Singer Nat King Cole even makes a joke about it in the song Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days Of Summer. In any case, she's a lovely doll.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember that part. I'll have to listen to the sing again.
      Thanks. I think so.

      Delete
  7. Great pics, imho. I had this doll and still have the top of the swimsuit. My dolls got lost in a flood, but one box of clothes and miscellany survived. I recently got a new/old head like this off Ebay and was appalled to find her hair is only rooted around the edges!! I love your blog and happy birthday, again. I know what u mean about friends. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you very much!
      How sad! Nice that you managed to save something though.
      I never noticed the rooting pattern! One of those hair styles that's not meant to be taken down! It looks weird if you try to change it, but it makes it much more realistic in the ponytail because it's not so thick.

      Delete
  8. I could not find fault with your pictures, but we are ALWAYS our own worst critics. That outfit you won is adorable and I am sure she's happy to no longer be naked! The Barbie is nice too, I don't think I have ever had a side pony with three bands in it. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's another positive about your flurry of comments: I am revisiting dolls I forgot I had! I had totally forgotten about this blonde Talking Barbie! She's quite a looker!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.