Saturday, March 16, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #75: Liana 'Lemonhead' Kelly Doll

  Today's doll is a short lived one.


It's Liana,a 'Lemon Head' Kelly friend doll.

I haven't unboxed this one because I think I have one out of the box somewhere.
  Most people know Kelly, Barbie's little sister. She first appeared as a baby in 1994. The first Kelly doll came with a crib, a pacifier, a diaper, and a baby bottle. She gradually grew older, becoming a toddler, and then a school age kid. These days she's much older, and the dolls are taller, and now named Chelsie. (?!) But in between, there was the Lemon Head.


Lemon Head Kellys first showed up in 2003. For some reason Mattel thought it would be clever to give Barbie a mutant sister with a head shaped like a sideways lemon, when no other member of the family looked like a cartoon. 


'Cute new look'. Nobody seemed to think so.

Collector's gave the dolls the nick name Lemon Head, based on the weird shape of their heads.


The dolls proved unpopular, and they quickly faded.

Fuzzy has the boy on the lower left. He had almost every Tommy doll made when he was a kid.
This doll is from the Sweetsville line.
 
   
She has longer, slimmer limbs than the original Kelly dolls, and is a bit taller.

  
Tomorrow hopefully there will be another doll. I hope the automated system or Ken have been posting these!

12 comments:

  1. What a poor little lemon head she is!!! A bit like a cone head but with her head on sideways. I wonder what on earth the company were thinking when they developed these unusually shaped youngsters!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know either. It was a very bad idea!

      Delete
  2. Poor little dolly. Well her dress is kind of cute anyway. At least Goodwill wanted $2 for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! And they got it from me! They aren't bad, but they are no substitute for a realistic looking doll.

      Delete
  3. I think the 'lemon head' Kelly dolls may have been out around the same time as the My Scene Barbie dolls, which also had oversized, stylized heads. Then again, I could be wrong.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right.They are supposed to have been available from 2002 to 2014,although I didn't think they lasted that long. But at least their heads were human shaped!

      Delete
  4. I saw these on Ebay when I looked up Kelly and wondered what the heck was up with them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is This Doll Have A Bend And Snap Knees?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. The Lemonheads just have straight, solid legs.

      Delete
  6. Y'know, it's weird. I hated these when they were in stores, but now I don't mind 'em so much! They're certainly not pretty little dolls like the old Kelly and her friends, but they have a unique cuteness about them. That said, I'm glad they didn't last, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind them as dolls, but not as Kellys. Kelly should look like a real kid, like the rest of the family.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.