Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #65: Barbie's '60th' Week: Nape Curl Talking Barbie

  Today's doll,and I, braved the 21 degree temperatures for a brief photo shoot. I have been wanting to use this coat for some snow photos,so today I just did it. Most of the snow we've had the past few days is gone now, but there was enough. This doll looks really good in the coat too.

The outfit is Fiery Felt, from 1970. And yes, it is missing a button. I'll have to steal one from a raggedy Skipper 'Red Sensation' dress.

  She's Talking Barbie.


There were three different versions of the 60's Talking Barbie. (There was a 90's one too,and some since.) The first one, in 1967 had a braid. The third one had slightly longer hair than today's, and centered eyes. This is the second one,from 1968.

 



The second and third issues are what is called 'nape curl' Talking Barbie. The phrase refers to the curled hair that comes to the 'nape' of the neck.


She has beautiful rooted lashes too. She has a 'spit curl' on her forehead, and at each side of her face. Mine need recurled.
I'm holding her hair in place with an elastic band around her neck. How else would it stay?
Talking Barbie came as a brunette, a blonde, and a titian.

This is obviously the titian,or red head.

My doll would have originally come in a two piece hot pink or orange bathing suit with a lacy cover up that had a collar and trim that matched the bathing suit.


  Like most talking Barbie and family dolls, this doll had a problem with her limbs falling off. I think she had an arm still attached. Consequently she has borrowed a much more dependable Twist N Turn body.
 

'Fiery Felt' consists of the coat, hat, and boots.


  Tomorrow we'll see another vintage Barbie.

10 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous doll! And she does look really good in that coat. You have such an amazing collection of vintage barbies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of them are what you would call 'fixer-uppers'. This one, for example,had to borrow a body with the arms and legs still attached. Her head is great though.She may be one of my favourites.But I definitely don't collect mint dolls.

      Delete
  2. I love the color of the coat against her eyes. She looks adorable in the snow scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's lovely and so is that coat, such a pretty colour, and looks really great photographed in the snow.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tam, I love "fixer-uppers," too! I look for distressed dolls at flea markets and thrift stores, and love to take them home and fix them up! I'm waiting on an Ideal Kissy doll to arrive so I can make her shine. Thanks for all the info in your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kissy is sweet. I have one.Such a cute face.

      Delete
  5. You've convinced me to try one of those TLC lots with this coat. Not usually a fan of orange, but this hot orange is cool! I'm pretty handy at sewing so I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck. lucky felt is very forgiving and doesn't run.

      Delete
  6. I like her face and her coat! This is a cute hairstyle too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.