Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #331: Pansy

  Today's doll is this pretty girl.


This is a doll I bought Ivy because I liked her.
 

She's named Pansy. Pansy also came as a blonde,a red head, and an African American.
 

She was made by Daisy Kingdom.



She's marked 1991,but Ivy wasn't even born until 1999,and we bought Pansy new. It's just the copyright date.


She's 18 inches tall.


She looks very vintage. That's what I like about her.
 

She is kind of a hard plastic lump though. She's jointed at the neck,shoulders, and hips,but she's all vinyl. She is a bit stiff and not very cuddly.Still,that's what dolls were like for years and kids still loved them.
 

Her hair looks 'marcelled',a popular style of the 1920's.
 



Her head leans forward a bit,making it hard to get a good shot of her face from a distance.

 


Pansy came in a white cotton onesie with pink ribbons. I didn't find that yet! Daisy Kingdom  also produced a lot of clothes for the doll, as well as printed fabric to make more doll clothes. This lavender dress is printed with paper dolls and their clothes.


It's all in one piece, but made to look like there is a yellow and white gingham under skirt.


It has an attached purse.


And it came with a matching headband.


That head band is heavy duty though! It's super thick for her little head. I suppose it's worth it though, because,unlike most doll head bands,it stays on.
 
There is also a sailor dress, which I had to buy because I LOVE sailor dresses!


The pink dress has an attached tulle apron with flower petals floating around inside it.



 There is a slip too, but because of the neckline of the sailor dress and the lavender paper doll dress,the slip could only be used with the pink dress.



The contents of the slip are a little confusing.

Is it 100% cotton, or 100% nylon?

The other side of the tag makes more sense.

Daisy Kingdom dolls, doll clothes, and patterns were sold at Joann Fabrics. They may have been sold other places, but that's where we bought ours.The patterns are supposed to be by Simplicity for Daisy Kingdom,but the violets one we bought just says Daisy Kingdom, and the bunny pajamas and robe one just says Simplicity.

 


Designed by Donna Hrkman? I want to buy a vowel! 


  The smaller pieces of the patterns we bought got cut out, but I was daunted by the idea of sewing from a pattern. I still can't do it.  Ivy eventually took over the project, but never did it either. They're  still around though. Maybe someday one of us will make it! These days Ivy works at the theatre department of her college,where she sews, and even designs, costumes. She recently designed and made some costumes for their production of the Sleeping Beauty ballet.

This is one Ivy designed and sewed for one of the fairies in the ballet.
  That's today's doll. Tomorrow we'll look at another one.

15 comments:

  1. I actually really liked seeing this girl. I remember seeing the Daisy Kingdom patterns in person and in the simplicity catalogues. But for some reason, the dolls and fabrics never seemed to be available here.
    So it was nice to finally see one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks like a lovely doll and much more 'old fashioned' than her era of production. I also really love sailor dresses, and that one is very pretty.
    I do like the idea of making up the outfits from already printed out fabric etc.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this doll is some kind of beautiful. I thought she was porcelain at first! I love how old-timey she is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute doll. I like her old fashioned look.

    Kudos to Ivy for making such a lovely outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ivy did amazing on the costume! I love the doll, I think these Daisy Kingdom dolls are adorable. I remember loving the patterns of the DK fabric and the clothes made with them. Not for the dolls, I didn't see those! It was the clothes for kids I saw. I was a tomboy, but when I did dress like a little girl, I wanted to be very girly. lol I guess I was a contradiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she did. She's quite talented, and in a few months will graduate with her degrees in film studies and costume design.

      Delete
  6. I bought one from first Monday in canton tx. How do I clean her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would just clean her with warm, soapy water on a cloth. If she has marks and such, a lot of people use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I've never had much luck with them, but my daughter swears by them for getting marks off things. I use warm water and baking soda and a baby toothbrush for dirty dolls. Just make sure not to scrub her with anything too abrasive.

      Delete
    2. I work for walmart and we opened in 1991. Later on we started selling Daisy Kingdom fabrics and the panels with the doll outfits to match the little girls clothing. Just last Monday I found a Daisy Kingdom doll on our scenic drive that our area has every year. I'm from Canton, ILLINOIS. She need cleaned up a bit but is in great shape. Now, just to get her an outfit or two. This doll is the one with brown hair and brown eyes. Her face is just perfect. I feel I did well, only paid $10 for her. She has her little white onesie with pink ribbons and her shoes and socks. She is wearing a cute dress but not a daisy kingdom one.

      Delete
    3. I never saw them anywhere but JoAnn's. Maybe I didn't hang around in Walmart's fabric department enough. You did very well, because the dolls came barefoot, with only the onesie. Shoes are always the most elusive things, except maybe for socks.

      Delete
  7. I got mine at So Fro fabrics. Which was the only fabric store in my area at the time.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. They came packaged with shoes and socks. I bought one in the original package from someone on Etsy. She was wearing white shoes with a snap ankle strap and plain white socks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, at least the doll I purchased came with shoes and socks. Perhaps they were omitted with later versions. My doll is one of the earliest of the Daisy Kingdom dolls that had a short bob hairdo cropped close to the head. She looks much closer to the vintage Patsy dolls than the later dolls did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, now I think about it, and look at others for sale, I'm thinking Ivy's came with shoes and socks too. I didn't see the more Patsy looking Daisy Kingdom dolls at the time, but they are cute.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.