Monday, February 6, 2017

Doll-A-Day 2017 #37: Goldie Blox Girl Inventor

  Today's doll is this quizzical looking girl. She's Goldie Blox,Girl inventor.

Goldie is part of a line of building toys designed to interest little girls in building and engineering.

She has bright yellow hair with white streaks.

Her hair is soft and silky and easy to comb.
Here's what the Goldie Blox website has to say about themselves:
"GoldieBlox is the award-winning children’s multimedia company disrupting the pink aisle in toy stores globally and challenging gender stereotypes with the world’s first girl engineer character. Through the integration of storytelling and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) principles, GoldieBlox creates toys, books, apps, videos, animation and merchandise; the tools that empower girls to build their confidence, dreams and ultimately, their futures."

It's kind of hard for me to understand that people buy special building toys for their girls. What's wrong with girls building with generic Legos? I also don't understand parents not buying building sets for their girls at all.It's been proven that building toys like Legos and Knex help kids develop spacial skills, hand eye coordination,motor skills,creative thinking,language skills,and with subjects like math. I never thought my kids couldn't have a certain toys because it wasn't meant for their sex.(In fact,it always really ticked me off when I was in a store  and a  kid would want to look in  a particular toy aisle and their parents would say,"No! This is the girls/boys aisle! Let's go look at toys for you!" Let the kid look at what they want. Whatever toy they like is the toy for them. My kids all loved Duplos,and then Legos and Knex.But they also loved dolls and action figures and cars, and you name it. And I'm talking about them all as a group, my two girls and my boy. They all played happily together whether it was building with Legos or playing with dolls.
 Building toys were right up their collective alley.I would definitely have bought the Goldie Blox sets for them!

I only saw Goldie in the stores after she was clearanced.Of course,my kids are older now, so I don't get to frequent the toy aisles as much as I used to.

She came in a set that included the parts and plans for building a zip line to sail her on.

There was another doll in the line,Ruby Rails, who came with a parachute, in her Sky Dive set.

This stuff sounds like fun!
I found Goldie second hand, so unfortunately she didn't have her zip line with her.

 I love her face though.
And her goofy sideways grin.
Goldie is 6" tall.

She is jointed at the neck, shoulders, elbows,hips, and knees.
Goldie runs through the start of my myrtle and my daffodils.

And hands made to hold her zip line.

She has a tool belt with  'G' for 'Goldie' on it.

She originally came with a wrench, which fit in the spot provided on her tool belt.

You can visit the Goldie Blox website HERE.

  You my have seen my post on Cosima recently. One of our readers messaged to tell me that she had spotted a Cosimo(Cosmia's brother) for sale, and we have been working on a trade. I haven't been successful at getting photos in an email, so for her benefit,Bogi,here they are:

  See you tomorrow for another doll.

2 comments:

  1. Mr. BTEG is an AFoL (Adult Fan of LEGO) so we always had some type of LEGO toy around the house, from Primo to Duplo to LEGO. The Musician had a fascination for trains as a little one and got a lot of Brio. The Dancer is starting college next year and is looking at majoring in mechanical engineering; she seems to have the aptitude for it. These kind of toys are nice, but innate skill is needed too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the skill is needed too. The thing is to open girls up to something like engineering, which girls' toys usually don't.(But as I said, I don't see why these kinds of toys have to be directed at male or female,and not just be general.) And also,building toys activate so many areas of the brain that allow kids to be good at so many other things.And they're fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.