Friday, August 18, 2017

Doll-A-Day 2017 #229: Lotus Doll Kayumi? and Journey Girl Kelsey

  Today's doll is mostly this girl.


She's the one I have been mentioning. I got her at a yard sale last Friday.



Her tag says Lotus.


That would make me think she was an Espari doll,exclusive to Barnes and Noble. That would make her Kayumi.



Her face looks very much like a Journey Girl.



The doll on the right is Journey Girl Kelsey. I   got her,in the pink dress, at a church sale earlier this summer. (I'm not fully including her because I have shown you a Kelsey doll before. You can read my review of my Journey Girl Kelsey doll HERE.

 In fact,the first time I saw the Espari dolls at Barnes and Noble I thought they must use the same sculpts as Journey Girls. Seeing them side by side though, you can tell the difference.



Her face is chubbier than the Journey Girls doll,but they both have a pointy chin and a similar mouth.


She does look almost identical to Journey Girl Meredith though.


What confuses me is, this Lotus doll has some differences from what I know about the Espari dolls. For one thing,Espari dolls have, in the past at least, had a chest plate and half cloth torso like Journey Girls.




 This Lotus doll has a full cloth torso like American Girl.


 
This makes her a little chubbier than Journey Girls.

Left to right:older Our Generation,Pleasant Company American Girl,Lotus, and Journey Girl.

Her arms are chubbier and her hands are bigger.

Lotus on left, Journey Girl on right.
Her legs are chunkier and her feet are bigger too,more like American Girl feet.

Left to Right here and below: Pleasant Company American Girl,Lotus,Journey Girl.
 


And they have detail on the bottoms which Kelsey's don't have.

Left to Right:Older Our Generation,Pleasant Company American Girl,Lotus,Journey Girl.

She does have the same jointing I've read the Lotus dolls have. It's much more limited than Journey Girls.


Her arms and legs can only move back and fourth, not in and out at all.


And her head can only turn, and not tilt at all.


Her eyes are inset with 'real' lashes.





Her two front ringlets are supposed to be pulled back together, but I thought it was pretty this way.


Both dolls have beautiful silky curls.



Look how beautiful the Lotus doll's hair turned out.





The Lotus doll's hair was pretty nice when I bought her, but when I got her home I noticed she had a piece of gum stuck to her hair in the back! Luckily it wasn't mashed in. It seemed to have been dry and flattened before it ever came in contact with her hair. Still,I couldn't wait to get her hair washed though! Bleh!


Come back tomorrow for another Doll-A-Day.

8 comments:

  1. Hope you don't mind but I did a little research into this.
    Looks like the company (Lotus Onda) that makes the Journey Girls and the Espari dolls also make a bunch of other dolls too. Gali Girls, Today's Girl, Newberry and more.
    I think this one may actually be a Newberry doll. They have full soft bodies and their legs seem to be slightly chubbier, with lower knees than the Espari dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind at all. Thanks for the information! I thought there seemed to be other dolls when I did some research,but I didn't see any names.I see that they are sold in Canada.I wonder if they are Canada only. I haven't seen any around Ohio. Looks like she might be Josie.

      Delete
    2. Looks like they are sold by KMart online. I don't know about the stores. There are hardly any KMart stores in Ohio these days.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Yes, she looks like a doll I purchased at Sears in Canada (where I live). From the pictures she looks like the Newberry doll Emma from around 2014. I really enjoy your blog everyday and amazed at your extensive doll collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the extra information,and the nice comments! It's nice to know it's appreciated.

      Delete
  3. She seems to be a younger girl than the Journey Girls and American Girl dolls. Her face is more childlike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I just bought a Lotus doll yesterday while thrifting and would love to find out more information on her. I can't seem to find her anywhere! She has blue eyes and shoulder length black hair in a pretty bob hairstyle. She is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try doing a Google image search. I can't seem to find one with short black hair. Of course, she may have had a haircut. I couldn't find an I.D. page for Lotus dolls online.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.