Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Doll-A-Day 2017 #234:Suntan Eric

  Yesterday we saw Ideal's Tuesday and Suntan Tuesday Taylor. Today we're taking a better look at her boyfriend, Eric.


He was introduced in 1977.




There were two versions of Eric.The first version came wearing tan pants and a brown turtle neck. The second version is this guy.


He was part of the Suntan line, along with Suntan Tuesday Taylor and Suntan Dodi.

This guy just looks like he should be sitting in a lifeguard chair.

Eric is a big 12 1/2" tall, but seems much bigger.

He towers over Tuesday Taylor. I say that, but he's not as tall compared to her as my husband is compared to me!

He has a huge,beefy body and a tiiiiiiiny little head.



This is his original orange swimsuit,although most pictures I've seen show him wearing it the reverse to this.


The way he's wearing it now,it comes to a much lower 'V' in the back.


I don't know where they got the idea that any guys wore suits like this.


Eric has the same click bend knees,jointed elbows covered with rubber 'skin', and jointed wrists as Tuesday Taylor.



I don't know if it's just this particular guy, but his legs don't bend very far or hold a pose...


...and his elbows aren't nearly as bendable as Tuesday's.


But he does have a hinged joint in his shoulders that Tuesday doesn't have.


He has a flaw shared by Kenner's Dusty and Mattel's Sunshine Family. His vinyl of his limbs and the plastic of his body react and melt together.


He has painted hair in several shades of blonde.





The poor guy doesn't look very smart.


Tuesday only likes him for his body I guess!


He has the same light orange skin as Suntan Tuesday.


When left in the sun he's supposed to 'tan'. It's too dark and rainy today for me to try him out though!


I got pretty excited at one point when it looked like the sun was out,but before I could slip my shoes on the clouds had returned.I got a few seconds of sun while I was out there,and it disappeared faster than I could take pictures.


We'll take a look at another suntanned doll tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. He looks like SNL alum Mike O'brian http://jessedittmar.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Mike_Obrien02.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! He really does! Follow that link people. They are identical except for Eric's blonde hair!

      Delete
  2. What was this mysterious problem with the plastic melting? I've read about it with Mego dolls as well. P.S Eric reminds me a lot of Stretch Armstrong. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He makes me think of Stretch too! As for the melting problem,it's a reaction between the rubber and the plastic. I talked about it in my post on Dusty you can see at http://planetofthedolls.blogspot.com/2017/08/doll-day-2017-235-dusty.html

      Delete
  3. He looks very odd for some reason. lol Am I the only one that can't tell the suntan dolls from the regular? I can't even tell who Malibu Barbie is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does look really odd! I think maybe these dolls don't look that tanned to us these days, because everybody has a real or fake tan. The dolls they make these days aren't as pale as they used to be either. Tanned is more the default skin tone now.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.