Friday, June 21, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #172: Travel Dolls from Spain

  Yesterday I mentioned some travel dolls I was photographing for somebody who wanted to buy some. (Just to let you know, they didn't want any of them! Now I'm still stuck with them!) So I thought I'd show you some of them and explain what a travel doll is.
These days the term 'travel doll' is used to describe a doll that actually travels,accompanying it's owner on trips. But a real 'travel doll' is what is also known as a souvenir doll,usually dressed in a typical costume of the region it represents. There's some good information on the history of travel dolls on THIS PAGE of Antique Trader.
  There were quite a few Spanish dolls in the box I pulled out the other day.



Most of them are pretty typical,in the Flamenco dancer pose.


One is even holding castanets.


This one looks the same,but is dressed completely differently.

Is this Spanish,or maybe...Bolivian?


There was one who had the same face,but is actually in a sitting position.


She's probably supposed to be sitting with the guitar on her lap, in a playing position,but it's just tied to her.

Her knees are in a bent position, so she can only sit down.

These dolls are pretty plentiful. You often see them at thrift stores or yard sales. They don't have much value,but some people collect them.


The dolls themselves,from the era these dolls are from anyway,(the 60's probably.), are usually made of celluloid or cheap plastic. There was also this lady,who is similar to the lady in pink.
 
The lace veil is called a mantilla. It is held in place by a tortoise shell comb called a peineta.

Unlike the others, she has a stand,built in, that allows her to stand up.


 She actually has a tag.

Unlike a lot of cheap travel dolls that are made elsewhere, this one,representing Spain, actually says 'Made in Spain'.

 The clothes are often only stapled onto the doll,and not properly sewn.



The Flamenco dancer outfit is actually more appropriately referred to as Andalusian,Andalusia being an area of Southern Spain.
That's the doll(or dolls) for today. Check back tomorrow for another.

10 comments:

  1. Hey Teach, I did not know the history of the concept of travel dolls. I know about the dolls we take with us when we travel.

    Speaking of travel, I wanted to let you know that I am heading to the Madame Alexander Doll Convention so I am attaching a note from my mother excusing me from school(laugh). I promise to do all of the homework (reading the posts) when I return.

    Have a great week and please don't give any quizzes while I am gone. Make up quizzes are very hard (chuckle).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun! I will try to keep things simple while you're gone to make it easier for you to catch up when you get back!

      Delete
  2. I love how lively these girls look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these Spanish flamenco dancing dolls because I actually have 3 of these. 2 of them were purchased in Spain in the late 70’s. My dad got them for me when he was in Spain for business. He traveled a lot and any time he went to Europe he would bring me a souvenir doll from whatever country he was in. I have one large Spanish dancer wearing a lavender dress and one small one wearing a yellow dress. I also have a third doll wearing a red dress that I found at Goodwill. She looks very similar to the one you have in a red dress - except mine has black polka dots on the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I didn't think anyone but me collected these! I have a bunch of them and now wonder what to do with them. I picked them up at antique shows and shops over the years. They're so pretty put in between other dolls in display cabinets, which is what I usually do with dolls that are smaller. Anyway, I still love them and enjoy them. Yours are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I feel right at home on this post!!!! I see these dolls in tourist shops all over the place here in Andalucia, I even had some myself when I was a child. But I didn't like that the clothes didn't come off!
    Spain is very famous for doll making, it's amazing how many dolls I've found that are either made here in Spain or if made in other parts of Europe, have parts of them that are made here. I would love to go to a doll factory but so far haven't been to one.
    And Chiclana is not a million miles from me here in Malaga Province!!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love travel dolls, such a fun way to remember a vacation. I had a Native American doll from our trip to the Grand Canyon. A cute little baby with a chubby face. Made of very cheap plastic and I am sure worth like a hundreth of what it cost, but I loved it.

    I haven't gone out of the country, so its the only one I ever had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you can even get cheap travel dolls when you go somewhere now. I don't think I've ever even seen any.

      Delete
    2. I think you still can at the Grand Canyon gift shop, but I doubt they are cheap.

      Delete
  7. Oh and I have a travel doll from Alaska! A little better quality than my Grand Canyon baby. My aunt and uncle went on an Alaskan cruise and she got one for her and one for grandma. They are both gone now (aunt and grandma), so I have both.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.