Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #175: Pont Aven Travel Doll

  We had loads of yard work to do today. I haven't had much chance to do anything this Spring,as you know.Between being sick and helping Lori move,and recovering from both,I have been playing catch up. Yesterday the Neighbours From Hell came over to,shall we say, 'enquire' about us cutting back our mulberry tree,which is overhanging their property a few feet. I told them I had been sick for about 2 and a half months this Spring, and had been helping a friend move 900 miles away,and I was getting caught up. I said I had noticed the tree was over the property line on Thursday, and had mentioned to Ken that we needed to cut it back. Ken works all weekend,so we were going to have to wait until today,when he is off. I can't do the cutting by myself,because I'm not strong enough. Ken doesn't usually do yard stuff because he has been having trouble with his back,his knees,and his ankles. He can hardly go to work and be on his feet all night if he spends the day doing yard work. So I usually take care of mowing and weeding and things like that. He helps me do trimming, but I have to say, hey, this needs to be trimmed. For one thing, he knows I'll throw a fit if he cuts something I wanted to keep. I haven't been outside that much in our yard this Spring,but I have done some branch trimming myself,of the smaller stuff. I have been out there so little that I hadn't noticed the mulberry tree had overgrown the line until last Thursday. After I told them that we'd be taking care of it 'tomorrow',they continued to nag and eventually threatened to call the city. I SAID I would do it tomorrow! That was when I just said, "I'm done. I said I'd do it tomorrow. That's the end of it. I'm going in now." So today, that's where we were. We chain sawed a whole hunk of tree down. It was leaning on the gutter and I was going to cut it down anyway. The NFH actually came out and helped Ken finish getting the tree parts down. (They were laying on their fence.) Male Half asked Ken if he had made me mad yesterday. Ken said, "Well,yeah, because you kept going on about the same thing after she told you she was going to do it today." Doofus.  
  So since I had a busy day, we're going to take a quick look at another travel doll. She's a very pretty lady. (But I'm still not keeping her!)


She represents Pont Aven,a part of Brittany in northwestern France. Pont Aven is named for the river there.


It's referred to as a village, and also as an artists commune. Tourists discovered the place in the 1860's,including several American painters.Beginning in the 1880's Paul Gauguin became a frequent visitor.


The art movement Ecole De Pont Aven,focusing on colour and symbolism, was named after the village.


Her clothes are pinned on to her.
  That's the doll for today. I have dug through some more tubs and found all kinds of interesting dolls. We'll be seeing them soon. Tomorrow we'll see another doll.

7 comments:

  1. I’m loving this series of travel dolls, because travel dolls make up a big portion of my doll collection. This French doll is really cute. I have a doll from France who is similar but has some differences from yours. I have no idea what region of France my doll is from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying them. I have been worried people would get bored with them. i thought this one was very nice too. I just don't want to keep her. Oh, your Barbie has not been mailed yet! Hang in there. We've been preoccupied!

      Delete
  2. You certainly give us all food for thought.I never knew how lucky I was with regards to my neighbors.Lovely travel dolls.I remember my Granny with some.I still have some,but thinning them down.The ones w/red dresses I put w/ my Scottish dolls and Shirley Temples,and Holiday Barbies for Christmas.Love your Doll-a-day blogs,starts the day off right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks! I hope you'll stick with me next year when I take a break from daily posting.

      Delete
  3. We have NFH here as well. She under-her-breath but loudly enough, called my daughter a slut for walking to the mailbox in her pajamas (t-shirt and shorts) even though she wears a t-shirt and flannel pants out almost all the time.

    The last time, was when she came over to inquire when *my husband* was gong to clean up the cable wires from the ground (the cable box is in front of her house.) I had no clue what she was talking about, but said sweetly that I would let my husband know when he got home from work, then slammed the door when she continued to b**ch. Turns out the cable company had left them that way when they did some work a few days before, and my husband had just gone over to look at the box, since the work they were doing was for us.

    She's also the one responsible for me waking up to the cops in our laundry room, when I was home alone. :O

    I hope you don't have to have too much interaction with your NFH. I've never gotten the chance to see too many travel dolls before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gawd, we also had a set of neighbours from hell once....they make your daily life into a nightmare. I'm glad you got the tree sorted and hopefully them off your backs.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cutie doll!
    I took French from 4th through 12th grade. We sang a song "Sur le Pont Aven." I am singing it now as I type this. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.