Saturday, June 29, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #180: Design My Style Holly Hobbie

  Today we're having a look at a modern version of an old favourite.


She's Holly Hobbie,but an updated modern version.


This is Design My Style Holly Hobbie.


This version of Holly Hobbie was made by Mattel in 2006.


She's 12 inches tall.


There were three dolls in the series,Holly,and her friends Amy Morris and Carrie Baker.


This is Holly's original outfit,minus her shoes.


She has jeans,with fake patches...


Her jeans have an attached faux suede belt and close in the back with Velcro.


She's wearing a ruffled blouse with another faux patch. It also closes in the back with Velcro.




She also has a a newsboy cap,with more patches and a heart shaped button.


Her other accessory is a friendship bracelet.


The Design My Style dolls came with an activity kit that "lets girls create with beads, sequined stickers or tie-dye art for the dolls' fashions and a furniture accessory". I have no idea what their furniture accessory was.


There were also fashion packs sold for the dolls.





Holly is jointed at the neck, shoulders, and hips. Her head can tilt side to side and upward a bit.



Her arms can lift up and down, as well as out to the sides,and they can rotate.



I have two of these. This girl loaned her clothes to another doll. She was the doner because she didn't have a hat anyway. Her hair is curlier though.
She has a load of curly hair.



She has bend knees,but they don't bend very far.



Her leg joints allow her legs to move in some ways that allow for interesting posing.



And she has huge feet.




When I was trying to photograph the poses with the naked one I thought she looked like a fairy or a wood sprite,so she posed fairly modestly in nature.





The modern Holly dolls lack some of the charm of the old fashioned original Holly dolls. But they are cute in their own right.




  For some of my other posts on vintage and modern Holly Hobbie dolls,check for 'Holly Hobbie' in the sidebar.
     That's the doll for today. Tomorrow we'll see a Holly Hobbie friend.

12 comments:

  1. Oh gee! I am feeling really conflicted right now! That's a very cute doll. I like her. I like her outfit. I like the idea of the interactive outfits. But that's not Hollie Hobbie! I can't believe they updated Hollie Hobbie! I want to curl up and have a cry now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just like my thing about the remakes of movies or old TV shows.They may be good in their own right, but why can't they just be a new thing and not try to call themselves after old favourites?

      Delete
  2. I’m not sure I feel about this doll. She’s cute I guess, but nothing like the Holly Hobbie of my childhood. I loved Holly Hobbie when I was little, and even dressed up as her for Halloween one year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this exact same doll, in Polly Pocket size, sitting on my desk this minute. She doesn't come with a bracelet, but she does have her dog, and a food dish for him.

    I feel the same way that the previous commenters have about the original Holly Hobbie, but it's true that companies keep updating or rebooting old properties. I think Strawberry Shortcake has been revamped three different times, from the original from the 70s. She-Ra has been rebooted, but now she looks like a ten-year-old girl, not the awesome, kick-butt character she was.

    We have a couple of DVDS with stories about the new Holly Hobbie and her adventures. One of them shows Holly going through an old trunk and feeling a connection with her great-grandmother, the original Holly Hobbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Carrie that size. They're even cuter small.
      I think Strawberry Shortcake has been redone more that three times! I actually prefer some of the redos to the originals there. She-Ra got made younger? That just seems goofy. Do they let the kid have a sword?

      Delete
  4. I like the wood fairy idea. Maybe the nekkid one would make a good custom job?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She would make a lovely fairy. Maybe that will be one of my 'one of these days' projects.

      Delete
  5. I don't normally like smiley dolls but she's a cutie and has a nice body shape too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is cute, but I think I prefer Carrie too.

      Delete
  6. I like her little body. Her face is throwing me off though. I think the eyes are too far set or something. She is definitely cheerful though (laugh).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these dolls but for their own. I don't like them as Holly Hobbie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just discovered these dolls, and I have yet to purchase one. Do you have any measurements for them? Waist, chest, feet please? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.