Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Doll-A-Day 2017 #261: Growing Up Skipper

  I got back late last night from our anniversary trip to Canada,so I decided to do the post for yesterday today. You can also check out today's actual post. In the meantime, today's doll is this lady.


She's Growing Up Skipper.


Growing Up Skipper was sold in 1975.


She has long blonde hair that has a slight poof to it.




Her legs are plastic and don't bend. She has a similar face to earlier Skippers.


But this Skipper had a gimmick.


When her arm is rotated, she grows about an inch.



So she has two different skirts to accommodate the height difference,and the 'age' difference.



This is her original outfit. It consists of the short skirt, the long skirt,the red blouse, and she should have red flats and white platform sandals. The short skirt buttons in the back. The long skirt is a wrap around that ties. 

And since she has 'grown up', she also 'grows' breasts!






The arm operates a mechanism under the rubber 'skin' on the torso.






The chest and the height increase at the same time, when the arm is rotated.




As you might have guessed, there was some controversy about this doll. Alot of parents disapproved of the noticeable anatomy.


  
She's not my favourite Skipper, but  she's an interesting addition to my Skipper collection.


That's it. Don't forget to check out my other post today which will get us both caught up.


4 comments:

  1. Some of the controversies are so stupid. Girls get older and they get BREASTS. Its not a dirty word, its just a body part. lol Her face is not as cute as your other Skippers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think of the fuss that was thrown over Barbie getting a belly button! And dolls had had belly buttons for years anyway! People can be ridiculous.
      You're right. I don't think she is as pretty either.

      Delete
  2. Kae-Leah WilliamsonJuly 21, 2023 at 10:51 AM

    She apparently is referenced in the 2023 Barbie movie, and I find it kinda fun to explain to non-collectors that yes, that was indeed a real doll, weird as it sounds. From an engineering standpoint, she's interesting as the mechanism is actually kind of complex, but I can see why parents would find the gimmick bizarre and problematic. Mine has very pretty honey-blonde hair in a nice natural-looking shade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen one with the rubber skin removed, and it's quite weird looking. I don't think, as a parent, it would have bothered me. I have my Growing Sally doll I got as a kid. She grew taller and had a mature evening gown and wig, but she didn't grow...other places. http://planetofthedolls.blogspot.com/2014/06/doll-day-162-growing-sally.html

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.