Monday, December 2, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #336: Yarn Doll

  Well, we took Ivy back to college yesterday evening. Today we just goofed around and came back home in our own time. We even got home before it was really late for a change! Luckily I had a doll already photographed for today. She's this little girl.


This is a vintage yarn doll. I think it must have been because of what was with her when I found her, but I always think of her as being from the 1940's.


You'll have to excuse the state of her. She's been kicking around in Ivy's toys for many years. I had to photoshop lint out of her yarn to make her presentable! I always thought she was so cute though.


When my sister and I were kids we used to have some yarn dolls similar to this. Somewhere here I have them, a pink yarn doll similarly made, a scarecrow, which somehow got burnt on the stove once, and a purple spider or octopus!  


I know the scarecrow and the purple thing had styrofoam balls inside their heads. The tiny pink girl was like this doll though, with an empty head. (Sorry girls!)

This is the back of her head, with her bonnet off. Her hair is made of a different type of yarn, with white stitching through it.

Her bangs are a little matted these days.



Ken thinks she's ugly! I think she's sweet.
  That's it for today's doll. See you again tomorrow for another one.

5 comments:

  1. I have never seen dolls like this before but in some ways she reminds me of those poodles that were made of wool and usually crocheted, with pompoms, and they were placed over the top of wine bottles if I remember rightly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the poodles you mean, except for the wine bottle part! I think these were fairly common for a while. As I said, we had a few. Maybe it was something they never did in the UK.

      Delete
  2. She does have a kind of 1940s glam about her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I think she's cute. I think making her would have been a pain, but I think she's sweet looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the doll wouldn't have been hard to make, but the clothes! Forget it!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.