Sunday, December 22, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #355: Review of Maru and Freinds New Boy Coy!


  I have been promising you a  couple of new doll reviews. Well,here is the first one. I was lucky enough to receive two early 'Christmas presents' from Maru and Friends. Although I was sent the dolls for free, for review,this is an honest review,letting you know exactly what I think of the doll.
  I have reviewed Maru herself in the past. You may have seen that review HERE. The Maru and Friends line has beautiful dolls. Most of them were sculpted by Dianna Effner. You know I LOVE Dianna Effner dolls. She sculpts some of the cutest little kid dolls around. Coy is an Effner sculpt. He's also Maru  and Friends' first 20 inch tall boy doll. The Maru Mini Pals line includes two 13 inch tall boys,Chad,whose review you can see HERE, and Noah,whose review you can read HERE. But Coy is their very first 20 inch tall boy.


  Maru and Friends is based in Florida,which may have something to do with their bright,sunny packaging. Coy arrived, as all Maru and Friends dolls do,in a white outer shipping box with bright orange flowers and the phrase,"Open happiness".


The side of the box shows earlier Maru and Friends dolls.


I have bought dolls and received some for review from Maru and Friends before. There's no packing besides the outer shipping box, except a small bit of bubble wrap this time,but they have always arrived in perfect condition as I recall. I have to say I like that there's little packaging. It can be recycled or Coy can be stored in his box,which is nice and sturdy. After slicing the sealing tape it was easy to open the shipper to see beautiful Coy in his vibrant orange box.

I don't know what happened with his head. It was facing forward when I first opened the box
There's an orange ribbon handle on top to carry Coy or to pull the box out by. It would be easier with a bottom handle too,because he got wedged on me. Just saying.
  The back of the box gives a bit of information about Maru and Friends.


Included in the box was Coy's certificate of authenticity.

Sorry about the blurriness.
The box insert slid out easily.
 

Coy was protected by sheets of foam,around his neck,legs, and arms.



There was also tissue paper under his pants legs.


I have had an easy time with the other Maru and Friends dolls. The ribbon bows just untied. This time around the ribbons were knotted, and tied so tightly that I could hardly get them undone! I had to poke something in the knot to get it loose,and nearly poked Coy's chin trying to get the ribbon around his neck untied. As it was I frayed the ribbons terribly,which was irritating,if not important.



 I love boy dolls,and look what else: Coy has auburn hair and brown eyes! You know I always look for that combination,which is hard to find,(even if I have it myself.) He has the same gorgeous Effner head sculpt as Savannah and Jamie. He has a slightly more tanned skin tone than Jamie though.



***Update: The founder of the company,Maritza Gutierrez, informed me that Coy is not the same sculpt as Jamie. He has a 'unique mold'. So although he resembles Jamie, he does not share a sculpt with her.***


But I think I can be forgiven for the mistake.Yes?

Jamie, from my post on her.
He has nicely realistic coloured lips,and look at those chubby cheeks!


Coy has the same body and limbs as Maru. If you're curious about seeing that in detail you can check out my Maru review which I gave a link to above.
  The clothes for Maru and Friends dolls are always made of good fabrics and as well made as real human clothes. Coy's clothes are no exception. He has a hoodie, with real pockets.






His hood has a slit to make it easier to get it over his head.
His jeans have real pockets too.

In front...
...and in back
Unfortunately his articulation doesn't allow him to put his hands in any of his pockets. I'm sure kids would enjoy having Coy carry his belongings in his pockets though. (I know I would have.) His jeans also have real belt loops. (But no belt.) They close in the front with a snap. He also has a pair of stretchy white undies on.
I really like Coy's shoes. They're boots actually.
 


 They have real laces that can be tied and untied.



The bottoms are smooth and shiny,but I guess Coy isn't going to be out on icy streets.


We had a bit of sun not long after Coy arrived,so he posed for a few pictures outside that day. His hair looks great in the sun.



His hair is made up of several different shades.

His hair is wigged, not rooted, but it's not removable.
 Coy's beautiful brown eyes are glass.


Notice his eyebrows. They aren't just a line. They're nicely done.
He has 'real' lashes on top, and painted ones on the bottom.


His ears are very simple.



Coy has the same articulation as the other 20 inch Maru and Friends dolls. He's strung,and is jointed at the neck, shoulders, and hips.


His head can tilt side to side or up or down,making him able to be posed in such cute ways.





Being strung instead of jointed allows his arms and legs to move up and down, as well as out to the sides.




He can stand unsupported quite well. In the poses just above he had no help standing. The next one required something to lean on though.


  So what do I think of Coy? I think he's such a cute little guy! He's well made,and his clothes are like miniature real clothes,(Other than his pants have no zipper.) The vinyl he's made of is smooth. His colouring and glass eyes are realistic. I think he is,to use a word Ivy uses, but I usually don't,he's 'adorable'.



I'm a sucker for Effner dolls, so of course I like Coy. I also love boy dolls,so there you go again. Coy is a beautiful doll, and I'm so happy to have the opportunity to own him.
  Coy retails for $125. Maru and Friends doesn't currently offer any clothes specifically for Coy,but they do sell some pajamas and a soccer outfit that would work for a boy. There seems to be a special on right now for a free pair of pajamas with the purchase of a doll,but don't quote me on that. I couldn't get more information to come up on the page.
  The review of the other Maru and Friends doll is coming soon. In the meantime,we'll see another doll tomorrow.

9 comments:

  1. I did not know that you liked Effner dolls, or I somehow missed that. I have three Little Darlings, four Bonekas, and Maru Tanya (20 inches). I love these dolls!

    I did not know about Coy. He is a cutie. There are folks who sew for boy dolls so I am sure that someone will have clothing available soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where have you been Dorothy? I have done quite a few posts on my Effner dolls. Look for Diana Effner in the sidebar and check them out. I wish I could afford Little Darlings or Benekas.They're so beautiful! Alas,I am poor and get the cheapest Effner dolls I can find. Mind you, that's usually not very cheap!

      Delete
  2. Now that little chap is a cute one! I'm glad to see that Mary and Friends is making bigger boys now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your "adorable" boy doll with us. It's nice to see a doll company doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's a handsome little fellow and yes, his outfit is great like all of their clothing. I also love his boots, again very nicely made.
    If I were in the market for a vinyl boy doll I think I'd certainly find that Coy was in the running.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the mini dolls best, but the big dolls are amazing. My only complaint is they need more boy clothes! For the big dolls and the small dolls. I like the ladybug pajamas, but I think Ash would prefer to not have them. I dunno, Emily told me maybe he would and would rock them. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. There needs to be more clothes for the Maru boys. Who is your Ash?

      Delete
    2. Ash is one of the mini twins. They are a really good price if you buy Ash and Joy as a set. So I got them for my birthday in January. I really do need to take some pictures of my dolls. lol

      Delete
    3. I figured it out. I get a little spacey sometimes!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.