Sunday, December 29, 2019

Doll-A-DAy 2019 #363: Simply Gene in Midnight Angel

  Today's doll is one I love. She's Gene.


Gene is the creation of Mel Odom,and made by Ashton Drake.The back story on Gene is that she's a movie star from the Golden Age of Hollywood. All of the Gene dolls and Gene outfits were given a story of the (fake) movie they came from. 



 This is one of the earlier versions. The last time Gene was produced she looked a lot different. I don't like the newer ones.


This particular Gene is the Simply Gene doll. She originally came in a shorts suit printed with her name.


She has jointed knees which the earlier Gene's didn't have.


I think jointed elbows would have been nice too,but I suppose they would have shown in some outfits and ruin her realism in that respect.


Her arms do look a little stiff though.


She's wearing a Gene outfit I love, called  Midnight Angel. It was available as just an outfit,with no doll. The fake movie it came from is called "Love's Ghost".
 
They wrote quite elaborate back stories for the fake Gene movies. I'd like to see this fake movie!


It consists of sheer stockings,pale pink heels,(Neither of which she's wearing here.She's wearing the heels she came in.I didn't want to try to untie the laces and change them,since they didn't show anyway.),a pale pink dress...



With detachable cummerbund,as the paper says,

Nice detailing.

...a tulle crinoline,a navy blue wool coat...



The coat has a huge gold bow in back.
The broach is sewn on. I notice it's missing the rose that's supposed to be on it. I'll have to scour the box!
All those tiny buttons are for show.The coat snaps closed.

...and a matching navy blue hat.


The dress is supposed to be worn under the coat. That's the way it's shown on the accompanying paperwork. But I tried it, and there's no way that dress fits under that coat!


The sleeves of the coat are too tight to fit the dress sleeves under.


And I could barely get the coat snapped as it was.


It's very form fitting, and that's without the dress under it.



They work well separately,although I'm disappointed they can't be worn together.

I had to keep closing the bottom of the front of the coat so her crinoline wouldn't show!


  You may have seen my other posts on various Gene dolls. If not, check out 'Gene doll'  in the sidebar.
  That's the doll for today. See you again tomorrow for another doll.

9 comments:

  1. Very interesting doll. I love the outfit and the coat. The clothing is "dreamy" as folks used to say. I also love the concept of giving the doll a back story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really been enjoying the doll a day posts. Such a wonderful variety of dolls, and I feel like I learned a lot about lines I wasn’t familiar with as well!

    What a pity that Gene’s dress and coat can’t be worn together! They’re both really beautiful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Gene doll is exceptionally pretty and her outfit is gorgeous. I love her pretty red hair. It’s really too bad the dress and coat can’t be worn together, but she does look really good in both pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this doll! Mine was used so no outfit but as shes the newer one has the curled bangs.I did find a thin cotton dress that might be suitable under a coat.The quality of her clothing is excellent.Thanks for sharing her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.Where did you find your used Gene? I haven't ever found a Gene at a thrift store, but I did find a couple at a yard sale once!

      Delete
  5. Once upon a time I did have some Genes, Madras and a Violet. I sold them all off eventually, but I did keep the Midnight Angel outfit. I believe some Gene collectors have compared the "movie" Love's Ghost to The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. It even stars Gene Tierney, who was supposedly one of the inspirations for the Gene doll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds more like a cross between Jane Eyre,Rebecca,and Wuthering Heights to me. I think Gene is prettier than Gene Tierney. No overbite!

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous outfit! But lousy quality control that you can't use it the way its intended!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.