Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #358: My Child

  This is my Christmas eve post, but by the time you read this it will be Christmas day or beyond. (I don't really think you're going to be spending your Christmas day reading this blog,do I?) The doll for today is this cute little girl.


She's My Child.


Not my child,but My Child, by Mattel.

And to prove it she has a label on her butt.


She has some stains that look like oil. I haven;t tried to clean them yet.
My Child was produced from 1985 to 1988.


My Child dolls have a very distinctive feature,which is their velvety skin.


The velvety skin is stuffed on the body and limbs, but the head is a firm structure covered by the cloth. Some of the My Child dolls have faces that have sagged or gone wrinkly. This girl has maintained her youthful looks.


The eyes are plastic and the hair is rooted. Her hair was probably originally in a little bunch on each side of her head.


Her little ears are very simple.


These dolls are jointed at the neck, shoulders, and hips.



This is her original dress. I think she almost certainly had matching bloomers.
 

The shoes are probably hers. They're very like Cabbage Patch shoes. The socks may or may not be hers...or both, since they don't match!


In 1987 and 1988 Mattel also produced a doll called My Child Loving Baby,which was basically a My Child with a vinyl head not covered by the velvety fabric the torso and limbs are covered by. They were still fabric covered, just not the head. The doll just looks kind of weird,like a skinned My Child. I have one around here somewhere. Someday I'll have to show it to you.



The My Child dolls have quite a following, and it's easy to see why. They are so cute and cuddly. The clothes were just about as cute as the dolls, with both the boy and girl dolls available in sailor suits. I love sailor suits!


My Child dolls came as boys, girls,Caucasians,African Americans,Hispanics,red heads, blondes,ash blondes, brunettes,and strawberry blondes.


  That's today's doll. I hope everyone has a great holiday.


See you tomorrow for another doll...if you can fit me in on Christmas!

9 comments:

  1. What a cutie. She is new to me. She looks very sweet in her dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a My Child doll as a preteen, and still have her. She's very similar to this one, except that her hair is still in bunches, since I didn't play with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one of the dolls that never came back from grandma. GRRRRRRR

    I found her on Ebay. Same outfit, same hair, etc. Obviously not MY doll. This one has her little ponytails taken down, I left mine in.

    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/zHQAAOSwyHhh~ds1/s-l1600.jpg

    I like this one, her hair color is nice and she has a cute dress. Mine came in pj's, which are my thing as you know. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that what her hair was supposed to be like? I like it this way anyway.

      Delete
    2. The one I had, looked exactly like this doll but her hair was up in two small ponytails. Puppytails, whatever you call them. lol Puppytails sound cute.

      Delete
  4. I still have my Samantha, My Child Doll, in original dress. She has a little half pony tail on each side of her head

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still have mine. Looks like one in pictures except I have socks, shoes and undies. Mine's hair is a bit longer too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.