Monday, December 30, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #364: Eric Idle as Sir Robin

  Today we're looking at this guy.



He's Eric Idle as Sir Robin the Brave,from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.





You may have seen my post on Sir Michael Palin as Sir Galahad from this same series. If not, you can see it HERE. This figure is also 12 inches tall.


These figures are made by Sideshow.


Sideshow figures were pretty impressive when they came out.  Some of the likenesses to the actual actors were fairly good. This is one of them.

Eric Idle as Sir Robin, fourth from left.
For their price point they're still pretty good,but the likenesses of the characters pale in comparison with super expensive figures like those made by Hot Toys.



The accessories for this figure include a sword...


... a shield...


His coat of arms is a chicken.
The back of the shield has an elastic handle,and a molded plastic handle.
...and The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog.



Sir Robin is NOT brave,as his name suggests. He's a coward,thus the chicken on his shield and clothes.
 
"I soiled my armour I was so scared."
He was very afraid of the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog,although he survived it's attack to eventually meet his end on the Bridge of Death...or off of it really.


The costume looks more like the real thing...except for that gingham belt!


He has a belt with a sheath for his sword.



 He has a chain mail body suit on. His chain mail is made of nylon mesh type fabric. He has a hard time standing on his own with the feet of his outfit having narrow soles on the chain mail.


As I mentioned in my post on the Sir Michael Palin/Sir Galahad doll,in the movie the chain mail was actually made of knitted wool,because they couldn't afford chain mail. It was much lighter,I'm sure. Itchy maybe,but lighter.
 

He also has arm guards. Or should that be 'arm armour'?



His gloves are not removable. The gloves are his hands.



The figure itself has one big difference to the real thing:


Eric Idle had quite long hair in real life at the time, and wore a long wig as Sir Robin,so what the?!


I suppose it was so his head looked right with the cowl up,but still.
The box boasts that the figure has 'over 20 points of articulation'. And when it says 'over 20' it does in fact mean 21.



He's jointed at the neck,with a swivel joint,the shoulders, the upper arms,the elbows,lower arms, the wrists, and when I say 'wrists' I mean 'gloves',  upper body,the waist,the mid thighs,the knees,lower legs,and the ankles.

It was so cold I rushed so much that I forgot to hide his prop stick!



His hands can hold his sword or his shield.




There were two series of Holy Grail dolls.The first series, that Robin is from, featured the main characters, King Arthur,Sir Lancelot,Sir Robin, Sir Galahad,Sir Bedevere, and the trusty horse/bearer, Patsy. The second series consisted of muddy versions of the knights,and the third series was made up of supporting characters like the French Taunter,the Dead Collector,the Black Knight,the Bridge Keeper,Tim the Enchanter,The King of Swamp Castle,Prince Herbert,and the super sized (18") Knight Who Says Ni.
That's the doll for today.


  Tomorrow we'll see the last doll of the year. It's a review of a beautiful doll,so I'll see you then.


5 comments:

  1. Well that's certainly a realistic face! Action figures are new to me. I only know about them from watching The Big Bang Theory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a hilarious looking character, I think he's really quite lifelike, but oh that's funny on his hair....or lack of it!
    Great photos though, the setting is perfect.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I waited ages to do a post on him until I could take wintery or Fall pictures at Emma's 'grotto'. Then she went and moved! Luckily she only moved upstairs in the same house and her best friend moved in her old apartment. I still got to use the 'grotto'!

      Delete
    2. Oh,the lake is actually a reservoir at the park where I took Mary Had a Little Lamb's pictures.

      Delete
  3. Oh my! He comes with the killer rabbit! LOL I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.