Thursday, April 11, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #100: Sweet April

    My fever has gone and I thought I was feeling better yesterday. But today I feel worse again. Last night I coughed so hard I threw up! I haven't been this sick in I don't know how long. I guess it never rains but it pours. This spring has not been good for me. Lori has been having a tough time too. Her house sale fell through. Apparently in Ohio you can renege on a realty contract without reason. So the house she was going to buy has sold to someone else. Worse yet, she left her job, and the position was filled right away. And now she can't get her job back. And she worked for her friend! I understand it wouldn't be fair to the new hire to take the job back, but they could surely use them both, at least for a while. It's a vet clinic.
  Anyway, even though I still felt awful today, I promised you an interesting doll. So here's an attempt at that promise.
  Today's doll is a little girl called Sweet April.


She was made by Remco.


Sweet April was made in 1971.
 

Apparently she lasted at least through 1973.


She's about 5 1/2 inches tall.

But she can't stand by herself.

This is her original sun suit. She also had a bonnet to match.


Those little straps should be attached to those snaps.
She has chubby little baby toes.



She has a gimmick. There's a button in her back that, when pushed, is used to make her raise her hands.
 


That came in handy because she had a bottle she could hold.




The bottle could be filled with water and she could be 'fed' the water.

 

Afterward she would 'cry' when her arms were raised, as long as she was sitting up or standing.


She had plenty of other goodies too, from a stroller, a swing, and a play pen, to a line of clothing, and an entire Playland.


Her bib has a cute little picture on it.

You can watch a video showing all of Sweet April's accessories and clothes from her booklets HERE.


There was also an African American Sweet April.


  That's it for today. Come back tomorrow to see if I'm still alive!

8 comments:

  1. I used to have one of these that I got second hand. She had the swing that's on about the second page of the booklet in the video. There were clear plastic sections that snapped onto the front and back to turn it into a little carry case. Her eyes are so blue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, you really are going through the wars, I hope you'll feel better really soon.
    As for your friend, that is really unfortunate...especially with the job situation too. Maybe she will find another house in the area she's looking at? I appreciate it is another long drive to go house hunting but sometimes it's worth it. I lost two houses when I was house hunting and then the third one finally went through...and it was definitely the best of the three in the end.
    Good luck to both of you.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had all the symptoms you are experiencing including the unfortunate "toss of the cookies" after coughing hard. And I am NOT a thrower-upper! You will feel better but it will take a few weeks. Make sure you get enough rest & take what meds you can.

    Teresa F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there's one thing I get a lot of,it's sleep! I'm trying to go med free though.

      Delete
  4. Hey, Teach, it's alright to take a sick day. Students do it all of the time. We would miss you but we want you to get better.
    I don't know this drinking/wetting doll. I had Betsy Wetsy and Tiny Tears.
    The bib is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,but I'm determined not to miss a day this year!

      Delete
  5. She's a cute doll, I like her face. So sorry about Lori! I hope her luck turns as I read new posts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.