Monday, April 1, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #91: Kewpie Gal

  Somehow I skipped number 85 a few days back,so I have corrected that and everything is numbered as it should be now. It's a good thing I caught it before it was too far back. That would have been a pain to fix.
  Today's doll is this little girl.



She's Kewpie Gal.


She was made by Cameo Dolls, a division of Strombecker, in 1972.



She's 8 inches tall.


She is almost a typical Kewpie doll. She has the same face,with it's big eyes and closed mouth smile.


She has the pudgy splayed Kewpie fingers.


But she doesn't have the point of hair on top of her head. Instead she has a neat bob,and a velvet ribbon, strangely embedded in her head.


She has pudgy knees too.


Her box says she has stockings and shoes, but she doesn't,in spite of still being in her box.
 

Who knows why. Maybe the box was just mislabeled. It already has one correction.
 
 
Apparently she was intended to have a 'cooing voice'. Instead, her soft rubber head squeaks when you squeeze it. What kind of kid is going to squeeze their doll's head?!
  She does have a 'colorful cute style dress'.


She also has a separate white slip with lace trim.


She also has white undies.


  Kewpie dolls were the invention of Rose O'Neill, a cartoonist. 

Rose O'Neill in 1907. She looks a bit like a Kewpie herself.
The Kewpies,who O'Neill said came to her in a dream, first appeared in a comic strip in Ladies Home Journal in 1909. The name is short for Cupids, and the Kewpies were originally drawn as baby cupids, with tiny wings.


The characters became so popular that ONeill began selling Kewpie paper dolls called Kewpie Kutouts. The first Kewpie dolls were produced as bisque dolls in 1912.
  See you tomorrow for another doll.

4 comments:

  1. I don't normally like Kewpie dolls, but this one is adorable. I've never heard of her before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them, but I'm not keeping her. She came in a lot of dolls Ken bought to get me the one I really wanted,which was the Pip Squeaks Anthony doll I posted about
      http://planetofthedolls.blogspot.com/2018/02/pip-squeaks-anthony-by-horsman.html
      So she'll be going away.But I'll miss her.

      Delete
  2. Very cute little Kewpie! I have always had a soft spot for the baby ones and this one is a sweetie too. I like the pointy heads though, although her hair is nice, I think she'd look lovely with a pointy head!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did know about O'Neill and the Kewpie dolls. I know that she was part of the suffragette movement, creating poster art.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.