Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 # 114: Minnie Mouse

  I felt better today than I have in a LONG time. I attribute a lot of that to the fact that I woke up today with my mouth hanging open. That only happens when I manage to totally relax in my sleep. I think my neck relaxed enough that I didn't get that headache today. It threatened,and I could feel how tight my neck muscles were, but I kept stretching  my neck to loosen up, and I managed to keep the headache at bay until late tonight.
  I made another batch of curried eggs today for Emma's boyfriend A.J.,since she forgot to take him some on Easter. I'll have to make another batch when Ivy comes home from college. That will make three batches of delicious curried eggs, that I couldn't eat a single bite of!
  My LPR didn't prevent me from trying something new today though. While Emma was here today we tried hostas. Yes! those decorative flowering plants people have in their yards. Apparently they started out as a plant harvested for eating in Japan. Somehow after they came over here people forgot all about eating them.


They are supposed to taste like asparagus. I didn't think they tasted like asparagus, but they were pretty good.
  And also today I jammed a quarter inch long,hair thin splinter from a bamboo Tiki torch into my pinky finger. Nothing ever goes completely smoothly around here.
  Today's doll is a tiny one.


She's Minnie Mouse.


She measures only 2 inches tall.


  This Minnie Mouse is special to me. When I was very small, my sister and I were playing on and around the porch of our house. For some reason my sister was poking around in the dirt at the side of the porch,and that's when she found Minnie. Minnie was buried in the dirt behind the bushes at the side of our porch.

Me, on the left,with my sister and one of our cats,sitting on our front porch. Minnie was found to the far right,out of frame,behind some bushes with inedible red berries and thorns.
Who knows how long she had been there? She looked old even then.


When we found her she had no paint at all. My sister coloured her eyes in,and maybe her tongue.


I looked for information about her for years, but I could never find anything like her. A few years ago I'm sure I managed to find a Minnie Mouse like her online,and she was from the 1930's. Now all I can find that looks like this Minnie are the Disneykins miniatures. The only thing is, those seem to have been made from white,hard plastic. My Minnie is made from a soft pink plastic.

That's some belly button! What's the hole for?

I don't think the soft plastic is appropriate for the  1930's,but I don't think she's a Disneykins. They were white, and painted,leaving the white bits,(Like the gloves), unpainted.


I have borrowed this picture of a Disneykins Minnie that was sold on the internet. I'll be glad to remove it if asked.
Now, my Minnie could have lost all of her paint. I mean, she was buried for who knows how long,after all. But she's made of a different colour of plastic.Also, Disneykins were 1.25 inches tall, as opposed to this Minnie's 2 inches. The Disneykins Minnie also has a hole in her stomach and a copyright on the back of her head that makes it look like The Death Star. Other than the size,the copyright, and the divot,the two Minnie's appear to be made from the same mold.
  But wait! I have looked again and happened upon something else! There was a 1953 Marx set called The Disney Television Playhouse Set. These figures were about 2 inches tall, made of vinyl,and later of soft plastic, and were made in pastel blue, green,cream,white,and pink. The figures were sold separately and in sets. They look like my Minnie,except for the hole between her hands. 

No hole.
 Could the hole have been made by an evil child? It looks molded in.


Her tail curls around her leg.  You can see it on the front of her right knee.

And here it is from behind. She has some huge mold marks on her shoes.
The kids who used to live in the house where we found Minnie must have played around the porch a lot. We also dug up a cowboy cap pistol one day,in the same spot.

The vertical windows in the center are in the door that's behind us in the other picture. The bushes under the horizontal windows to the right are the ones we found the toys buried behind.

It was a bigger, snazzier one than the ones I had. It had cow heads on the butt. I still have it,(and mine),but I never allowed Fuzzy to play with them. I didn't do toy guns with my kids. Things are too different these days.


    That's it for today. Check back tomorrow for another doll.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Teach, oh my goodness, we are going to wrap you in bubble wrap. You do not need any more injuries.
    I bet the kids who lived there before you buried those items. I remember burying an animal cracker box with "treasures" inside in my backyard.
    Your Minnie does look like the other one. Maybe your Minnie was a prototype.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bubble wrap sound like a god idea!
      I always just assumed they played around the porch and the toys got dropped and forgotten about. Now you have me wishing we had excavated further. Who knows what we might have found!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better but that 'piercing' does not sound like a lot of fun. I thought I was accident prone ;)
    This little Minnie is tiny and it looks like you found a photo of her that is very similar but I too wonder what the hole is all about. As you say, it looks like it's moulded in and not made by something being pushed into the dolls stomach. Unless of course the previous kids in your house sacrificed her and buried her under the bush, not thinking she'd ever be resurrected again ;)
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.