Monday, April 22, 2019

DOll-A-Day 2019 #112: 35th Annversary Midge

  Today's doll is another anniversary one.She's this girl:


She's 35th Anniversary Midge.


Midge was Barbie's first friend,(besides Ken.)



Midge made her debut in 1963. The box date on this doll is 1997,but her 35th anniversary would have been 1998. You can also see her original price, $39.99. Not that bad really.


I think that, overall, Mattel did a great job with this Midge.


Her face paint looks pretty authentic,other than her lips being shiny.


Her hair is too silky though. 


 


Vintage Midge had sort of straw like hair,like Skooter. The doll they show on the back of the box appears to be a vintage Midge with her lips touched up.


 

This was a habit Mattel had with their early reproductions. The boxes and publicity photos usually showed the actual vintage doll,instead of the reproduction.This was misleading. I think they have stopped doing it now.
  Midge originally came as a blonde, brunette, or titian (redhead.) Most people think of her as a redhead though, so it was a good choice for Mattel to make the reproduction a redhead. My childhood Midge is a redhead. Modern Midge dolls have all been redheads.


Repro Midge comes with reproductions of her original booklet...


...white mules...


...and swimsuit...

Original Midge actually had three different original swimsuits, depending on her hair colour. Brunette Midge had a red and pink 2 piece,blonde Midge had a light blue/dark blue combo,and red haired, or titian Midge got stuck with this orange and chartreuse horror. Strangely enough,all the original boxes picture a red head in the blue swimsuit.

..as well as a wrist tag, which clearly says '35th Anniversary'...

'Clearly',although not in my photo!

..and a reproduction of her original box. 

Most people think of Midge in 'Senior Prom'. It really suits her,and looks great on a redhead. But Senior Prom wasn't actually Midge's. Midge had no clothes with her name on the label. (Although, after Midge's introduction,Mattel changed the name on the Barbie body mold to read 'Barbie and Midge'.) She shared Barbie's clothes. 'Senior Prom',like everything else Midge wore,(except her swimsuit), was labeled 'Barbie'.  It was still Midge's even to Mattel though,as that's the outfit they reproduced for her with this doll.


The dress is provided, along with the green mules with peal accents....

The pearls on these are flat on the back. The originals were round pearl beads.

...and the dimpled gold foil purse.


  That purse was used by Mattel for years. Oddly enough,that same gold foil purse,sometimes in silver,is still appearing in generic fashion doll sets! These days it's made of vinyl,and the colour doesn't peel off.
  I have the same complaint about the 35th anniversary reproduction Midge that I have with the 35th anniversary repro Barbie. The legs are too shiny,and have a mold line up the front of them,and the hands have ragged mold lines.


  They were a bit sloppy with that toenail paint.


  There is some variety in early Midge dolls. Some of them had very curly hair,a rare Midge without freckles,and there is a rare Midge that had teeth painted in the gap between her lips. If you buy one, be careful. Some of them have been faked. When the American Girl Barbie came out, an 'American Girl' version of Midge was also released. She had a shorter hairstyle that curled under,instead of over,bend legs, and a striped one piece swimsuit.
 

  That's today's doll. See you again tomorrow.

11 comments:

  1. I have this lovely young lady. If you decide to open her up be careful with those green shoes. Mine split along the top, right where the pearl is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I know the old ones were bad for that, but I thought the repros were better. It's just a weak spot I guess.

      Delete
  2. 35 huh? Gee she doesn't look a day over 34 (laugh).
    I didn't remember Midge because in my Barbie time there was only Barbie.
    I kind of like the green prom gown. I went to all of my proms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never went to a prom. They didn't have proms in England,at least back when ken was in school,but he took someone to her prom when he was over here as a very young man,as a favour. SO he's been to a prom and I haven't!

      Delete
  3. I think this repro Midge looks prettier than the original. I can never decide if I think Midge is cute or homely!?

    I love her prom dress. I went to a tiny high school that didn’t have prom, so I never experienced one. My son is a junior this year, but he doesn’t seem interested in going to his school’s prom - maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people have that opinion of Midge. She has a tendency to look bug eyed,which I think they avoided somehow on the reproduction.
      Fuzz went to both of his,and so did Emma.Ivy didn't want to go to her proms. Emma and I tried to tell her it was a rare chance to dress formal,so would be fun. But she wouldn't go.

      Delete
  4. I have never been to a prom either, we never had them when I was a girl in the UK but they seem to have them now, or at least some schools have them. My school was an all girls convent and I imagine the nuns would have thought it all pretty frivolous!! ;)
    I like this Midge, she looks really quite cute. And somewhere I have one of those little clutch bags which I've kept from my childhood, but I think mine is silver....now you have me wondering where it is!!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they do have proms in England now. They didn't when Ken was in school though. We had proms,but I didn't go. Ivy chose not to go to her proms,but Emma loved getting dressed up and going, even without a date. She went with a group of friends., I guess that's a thing now.

      Delete
  5. I think I want her if you still have her. I had the pregnant Midge but I LOVE the face on these older dolls. If you could put her back, I will wait till you post the rest to see what else I want so they can all be sent at the same time. I am thinking about getting Kelly, but I did get one with the GAP set. But the one you have has CLOTHES and a crib...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she's still here. I can let her go if you want her. She'll be sitting here until you compile a list. It might be cheaper to ship things in smaller boxes though. Anything 12 inches or over gets really expensive to ship.
      I love the clothes on that Gap Kelly. I got one at a yard sale that had her shirt and overalls, but no sweatshirt. On the other hand, she was 10 cents!

      Delete
    2. I LOVE overalls - on little boys, on little girls, doesn't matter. NO kid is NOT cute in overalls. My little Kelly does have disentegrated rubber band in her hair. I got some silicone baby elastics so I can replace the, but I haven't done it yet. I won't have a huge list. If you still have Kelly I'll add her since I wanted that set and she's a very fair price. I am trying really hard not to comment on your posts, but I am chatty and I always feel like the blogger won't know I like it if I don't say. LOL

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.