Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #120: Wind Up Drinking Man

  Today's doll is this little guy.


He is little. He stands just over 6 inches tall.


He's holding a mug,which should be a tip off to the kind of doll he is. (No! Not a drunk one!)

It looks like he was originally holding something in his other hand too. Maybe he was a 'two fisted drinker'.
He has a mechanism meant to be wound by a key in his back.


His key is missing, so I haven't been able to see if he works yet. If he does, when wound, he would lift his mug to his mouth.


His clothes are made of felt.


His hands are wooden. I'm not sure what his face and legs are made of. Composition maybe,or paper mache'.


I'm guessing he's a German doll,maybe made by Schuco? His face looks more like a Bremerhaven. Both of those made dolls with metal feet though. Does anybody have any ideas?

His eyes are a little yellow. Maybe he has a hint of jaundice.
  That's the doll for today. I have to apologize for the quality of the photos. Fuzz borrowed my camera and Ken's lens, and hasn't brought them back. Hopefully he'll get around to that soon!

4 comments:

  1. Well he is quite a natty dresser! He seems to be gazing at something. I wonder if there was a female doll that went with him. Maybe a wife with a broom who says "put down that stein!" or a dance hall girl with a pitcher of beer. Hmmmm.
    In any case, happy May! I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your ideas for a companion doll! Happy May to you too!

      Delete
  2. I think he's already had one too many, looking at the colour of his rosy cheeks ;)
    I would love to know if he still works though, pity that the key is lost.
    I think he looks well made though, and his outfit is very good too.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So would I. I have a key somewhere. When I find it again I'm looking forward to trying it out.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.