Friday, April 19, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 # 109: 35th Anniversary Barbie

  Ken and I were talking recently about this being Barbie's 60th anniversary year. Ken said it seemed not that long ago that this doll was released:



This is the 35th Anniversary Barbie.



Obviously she would have been released in 1994.

Although her box date is 1993.

This doll came as a blonde,or a brunette.


This is actually the second edition of the 35th anniversary doll. You can tell that because she has the proper arched eyebrows.


The first edition came out with the wrong eyebrows! Mattel, what were you thinking? The first anniversary doll came out with rounded eyebrows,when everybody knows that the first Barbie doll, now known as the 'Number One',  has pointed eyebrows.So Mattel fixed the eyebrows. Then the other thing people complained about were her bangs. Number one Barbies have tightly curled bangs,while the repro has loose curls. A lot of people recurled the bangs on the 35th Anniversary dolls to make them right.


The box pictured a doll with curlier bangs.


Number One Barbie also has weird white eyeballs. They got that right on this doll.


She has the appropriate gold hoop earrings.


And of course, she's wearing the classic zebra striped swimsuit,although this one had clear elastic straps to maintain Barbie's modesty!

These clear straps have died from old age.
The reproduction even has it's own wrist tag,which clearly says 'reproduction'. Mattel have been very good about marking reproductions and repro clothing so it can't be mistaken for the originals.


Her classic sunglasses were also provided,as well as her white mules.

They aren't nearly as well made as the originals though.

A reproduction of the original Barbie box is included in the set. I'm pretty sure it is clearly labeled 'reproduction'.


One of my complaints about the reproduction was the mold line down the front of the doll's legs.



She has very shiny legs too,which just didn't look right. And the mold line around the hands is very ragged.


She has toenail paint,as well as fingernail paint. There's that mold line on the legs.


  That's it for today. See you again tomorrow for another doll.


8 comments:

  1. Nice reproduction. I remember reading somewhere how to tell the Barbies apart. I think the article said that the eyebrows were the first way.

    I got an acid free doll storage box for my Barbie. I never put her in though. There is a window only on the front panel. The other three sides are just the box. I like looking at my Barbie so I kept her in her plastic storage container.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the number one and number two both had the pointy eyebrows. The number one is the only one that had metal tubing in the holes in the bottoms of her feet for the prongs on her stand to fit.

      Delete
  2. I have the blond version of this doll that I found at Half Price Books not too long ago. I had no idea about the difference in eyebrows between different versions. I just went and looked at mine and sure enough she has rounded eyebrows not pointed ones. I had never noticed that before! I agree that the white eyeballs are weird looking. I almost didn’t buy her because of this. I’ve been tempted to get out a blue watercolor pencil and color her eyeballs in, but I probably shouldn’t do that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's your. Do what makes you happy. I wonder if you used blue powder makeup on a tiny brush if it would be removable if you changed your mind? Watered down blue acrylic paint(the cheap kind) should be able to be washed off with water. Just don;t remove the original paint and you should be fine.

      Delete
  3. Very nice! But yes those mould lines are quite obvious.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love a reproduction Barbie or two, but not from that era. lol I think the first one looked mad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was mean looking. I prefer the Mod Era dolls.

      Delete
  5. She is a fierce girl. I bet she slaps the maids at fancy hotels.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.