Sunday, April 7, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #97: Heimlich

  Today is my son's 24th birthday. So today I'm featuring a doll that is both from his collection, and mine. He's this little guy.



He's only just short of 4 inches tall.


A few posts back I told you how I used to hang out with my dad when I was a kid. We did things like going to the junk yard to get car parts,(Dad had to have all the chrome letters that spelled out the name of the car in place.),and to the gas station to get the tires rotated. Things like that. One day we were getting the tires done,and I found this guy. When I found him he was missing one arm, but he did have his original red and white checked shirt and red pants. I always felt sorry for him because he looked like he'd had a tough time,and because he needed help. He has a weird, lumpy Elephant Man stomach.


The poor kid also has a hunchback.



  I played with him when I was a kid, but he just never seemed happy to me. When Fuzz was little he had just about every Tommy doll they ever made. His favourite toy,which went everywhere with him, was Fuzzy the Doll,a doll of Fuzzy I made from a Tommy doll to match Emma's Emma the Doll. Since the little gas station guy was just about Tommy size,I gave him to Fuzz. I couldn't remember what I had named him when I was a kid. I always thought he was made in Germany. (Turns out he's made in Hong Kong!).


 Anyway, thinking he was German, I renamed him Heimlich. (I know that's not a first name. It should have been Heinrich,but Heimlich was funnier,cause, you know,the 'maneuver'.) Fuzz immediately set about making him part of Fuzzy the Doll's crowd.

He has very badly painted on shoes and socks...or maybe that one sock is supposed to be falling down.
Fuzz stripped off Heimlich's old clothes,the only ones he'd ever had, and gave him new Tommy clothes,which he got to change frequently, just like all the other guys.


He even did something about that missing arm...


  Fuzz played like a boy does with action figures,only he used Tommy dolls. These guys carried around weapons and suitcases full of money. But whatever they did,Heimlich was right there in the middle of it. Finally he seemed to belong. I think he's happy now.
  Tomorrow we'll look at another doll. See you then.

5 comments:

  1. Oh poor Heimlich, he does seem to have seen better days...maybe he was run over a few times at the gas station when you were getting the tyres done? And as a result lost his arm and got all lumpy. But he certainly seems to have got a new lease of life from your son, so it all turned out well in the end :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that he was a very cheap Hong Kong made doll,but why they would make a humpbacked mold is beyond me!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to your son.
    The little doll is sure a survivor. I agree with Sharon; he was probably hurt at the gas station. It was a good thing you rescued him or more parts might be missing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s so creative that your son made Heimlich a prosthetic arm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were always a pretty creative bunch. He felt sorry for Heimlich and did something about it. I guess I had no spare doll arms when I was a kid!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.