Monday, April 22, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #111: Chenille Chick

  Just a quick post today,since it's very late,and I feel really awful. Today was a full day. Ken got off work early. Fuzz and Emma came over,and we had Ivy on video call,so we were all together. I made curried eggs,mashed potatoes, and artichokes. The artichokes cooked for HOURS and never got soft! I had a bad headache and started to feel really lousy. I hate potatoes and I'm not supposed to eat curried anything,so I had a boiled egg and later some vegetarian sausages. I still have a headache,so eating didn't help. I'll be so glad when whatever this is that I have is over!
  Today we're looking at this cute little girl:


She's a chenille chick.


I wanted to take her out of her container and use her in some cute pictures for Easter. But someone has really sealed this container, which originally held Max Factor Hypnotique Sophist-Cat perfume,in it's cat shaped bottle.




It looks like the only way I'll ever get the chick out is to break the container,and I might crush the chick in the process.
  This is an old chenille chick, but they are still made, although not usually as well as this one. The chenille chicks that are sold these days are bright yellow and decidedly thin on fluff. You see them sold in the Easter section of most stores and in craft stores.


You may have heard of chenille bedspreads,those old fashioned ones with the raised fluffy designs on them. The name chenille refers to a type of yarn, or the fabric made from the yarn. Chenille was invented in France in the 18th century. The word 'chenille' is French for caterpillar, because chenille feels like a caterpillar's 'fur'. 


The original technique for making chenille was to weave a leno fabric,which was then cut into strips to make chenille yarn. Chenille bedspreads were invented in Georgia in the 1890's,and use a different technique. The bedspreads became so popular in the 1920's and 1930's,that many families made a living throughout the depression in the chenille bedspread business,some even becoming millionaires in the middle of the depression. Some of you who collect American Girls may be thinking of Kit's green chenille bedspread. Today chenille enjoys a popularity amongst fans of shabby chic. I still have my mother's chenille bedspread,and a velvety chenille robe that I wore as a very small kid. (My kids all wore it too!)
  That's all,but before I go,I want to ask for all those prayers, good vibes, positive thoughts and good wishes once again. This time they are needed for Fuzzy's new girlfriend Makayla. Makayla is only 24 years old, and has cervical cancer. She was supposed to come over with Fuzzy today, but was having pain and needed to sleep. Please use whatever technique you believe in,but send something positive Mayayla's way. Thank you.

8 comments:

  1. That's a very cute chick!
    Best wishes for Makayla. I had cervical cancer about five years ago, the hardest part was waiting. I'd see one doctor, then have to wait months for a follow up or referral to the next guy. And whenever I mentioned surgery people would say "But wont that affect your fertility?!" And the only response I could think of was "Probably less than dying." Which I never said because it sounded rude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachael. I hope Makayla does as well. I wondered about surgery too,for Makayla and our niece in law Carly. If it were me I would tell them to cut out or off anything they needed to. As for your fertility,I think at that point living is the thing you need to worry about the most. Anything else is ridiculous. I hope you are doing well. Hearing that you've been clear for five years could give Makayla hope and something to fight for. I hope she can beat it. She seems to be very nice,(Ivy says she is, and she doesn't like many people.),and I think she has helped Fuzz a lot.

      Delete
  2. Dear Tam, hello. I will include Makayla in my prayer list. I am continuing to pray for you to get over your cold.
    I remember chenille bedspreads. I did not think a little animal could be fashioned from that material.
    I think you are right about not breaking the glass. You might be able to find someone who has a glass cutter to take off the top for you though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy. I feel Makayla has helped Fuzz sort out some problems and I hope she can get help with hers too.
      Don't worry about me.It's a lingering cold,but I'll be fine.I think the continuing headaches are because I cricked my neck coughing so hard. I need a good neck massage,or two...or more.
      The cover is plastic,so it's break it or not I guess.

      Delete
  3. I'm very sorry to hear about Fuzz's girlfriend and will send positive thoughts her way. My cousin had cervical cancer some years ago and thank goodness she is doing well. So here's hoping that Makayla will also do well.
    The fuzzy chic is cute, with her little flowers and necklace, she has a real old fashioned look about her.
    I remember chenille bedspreads, I had a pink one, my brother had lemon and I think my parents had white with pink flowers....they were very nice and cosy.
    I hope you get over your 'lurgy' soon and start to feel better again.
    Big hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I thought Fuzz would be happy to tell Makayla an encouraging story about someone who had recovered from cervical cancer,so I told him Rachael's. But he has requested that I don't tell him any more.That's a shame,because I think having hope helps. Carly was happy to hear the story I related to her that someone told me here on the blog. She said those stories gave her hope,and that's what she needed. I do believe that a positive attitude makes a great difference.

      Delete
  4. Mr. BTEG was sick for Easter here too. I was dragged down a bit getting over a cold. Eldest did Easter with her in-laws, and the Dancer represented us at Easter dinner at my in-laws. We had a very simple dinner of ham and mashed potatoes. Hope that you are moving towards better health quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read about that on your blog. I hope you are both feeling better. I'll get there,if not quickly.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.