Thursday, April 4, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #94: Quilled Paper Doll

  First of all, I want to thank everyone for their sympathy about my recent back and hip problems. Just know that I am fine now and I didn't have any trouble sleeping last night. My aches and pains are something I'm used to, and nothing that, normally, I can't handle. It isn't often that I have a problem like I had recently. I don't like to take anything for pain if I can possibly stand not to, so it's been years since I had any pain pills or anything in the house. I think I might have been tempted to take some had I had them the other night, but I survived. No worries.
  Today's doll is this interesting girl.


She's a quilled paper doll.


Paper quilling is an art where very thin strips of paper are tightly rolled,and then pinched into various shapes, which can then be glued together,or on paper or canvas to make flowers,pictures,or,in this case,a figure. 

That little piece next to her fell off of her from I know not where.



She has some pretty big feet, but that allows her to stand unaided.



You can watch a tutorial for making quilled paper dolls HERE.


  Nobody actually knows how or when paper quilling started. There is some suggestion that it began shortly after paper was invented in China around 100 BC. The other idea is that quilling was the invention of nuns in the 13th century, who would decorate books and religious objects with rolled strips of gilded paper cut from books into designs imitating decorative ironwork.


  The popularity of paper quilling rose in the 1700's, as upper class women began taking up quilling as a genteel pastime. The hobby came to America from Europe. American colonists decorated with quilled art.


  These days quilling supplies are sold in hobby and art supply stores. Quilling enthusiasts no longer have to cut their own paper strips, and can buy them precut.


  This doll is 5 1/4 inches tall. I can't remember where I got her, but I thought she was very interesting.  My favourite part is her little pig tail.


Tomorrow we'll take a look at another doll. Come on back and see.

7 comments:

  1. An interesting way to make a doll. I wonder why a flat paper face wasn't used to make the features more pronounced.
    I am glad that you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      I guess it was the challenge to make the whole thing from quilled paper. She could do with some expression though, couldn't she?

      Delete
  2. I’m so glad your back is feeling better and that you slept much better last night. My father has nerve damage and chronic pain in his foot and the pain is sometimes so severe he only gets about 2 hrs of sleep at night. So I understand how debilitating chronic pain can be. This doll is really interesting. I’ve never seen anything like it before. I’ve seen quilling, but I’ve never seen figures made out of quilling. How unique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Your poor father. It's terrible to just want to go to sleep and not be able to because of pain.
      This is the only one of these dolls I've ever seen in person.

      Delete
  3. This could be one of those pinata things that you bash at parties to get to what's inside!
    Glad to hear you're on the mend Tam :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of quilling and have often thought of trying it. But I have never seen a quilled doll! She's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate all comments, and you know, one good thing to come out of you doing so many comments is that I have gone back over a lot of older posts and corrected mistakes I have missed all these years.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.