Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #218: Hatfield and McCoy

  Today's dolls are sort of a sequel to yesterday's. These guys are hillbillies too.


They're about 7 inches tall.



These guys incorporate some of the biggest cliche's about 'hillbillies'. They have 'dirty' bare feet.



And rope belts,like Jethro on "The Beverly Hillbillies".



I think some of those cliche's came from the depression era. The depression hit the hills of Kentucky pretty hard. My mom and dad were born in the 1920's. They often talked about the things they had to do when they were kids because they were so poor.

My mom,age 10,in 1937. By the way, that says 'Mae',not 'Moe'. My mom was named Lelia, (after her mother), Mae (after her Aunt Mae.) She was often called Mae, although as an adult she was more often called Lelia. The family called her Lelia Mae. She was a tiny lady, and when my cousins,(Read about the dolls they gave me HERE.), were little they thought everyone was calling her 'little Mae'.

Dad also age 10,in 1934. He turned 11 in June that year. Right down to the red hair, I have always looked like my dad, and these days when I look in the mirror I see Dad's lower face. My brunette sister looks like my mom.

Shoes were worn only in the winter, because they had to be worn in the winter, so nobody could afford to wear shoes in the summer when they didn't need them. My mom told a story about how she and her brothers and sister cut pictures of shoes out of catalogs and tied them on their feet to play in.  I don't think any of my family ever wore rope belts, but who knows?

My grandpa driving the plow in the mid 1940's. That's my mom in the big hat, with some of her brothers, and her sister.

The difference from yesterday's dolls is that these guys aren't knee huggers. They're plastic.



Their legs aren't jointed. Their body and legs are one just solid piece.

The guy on the right has a string to be hung by too, like the doll yesterday.

But their arms can move. They seem to have some wire in them.



I call these guys Hatfield and McCoy. Those of you who are too young, or not from the United States may not be familiar with the story of the two feuding families from the 1880's, who lived either side of the Big Sandy River, in Kentucky and West Virginia. You can read the whole story of their feud HERE.


 

The families feuded for over 10 years, resulting in over a dozen deaths. The story became part of popular culture, and 'Fighting like the Hatfields and the McCoys'  became a phrase.



Both the Hatfields and the McCoys were 'moonshiners' at some point. Moonshine was illegal alcohol made from corn. One of these guys has the cliche' moonshine jug.

I think the number of X's had to do with the strength of the moonshine.

He looks a bit like the old mascot for Mountain Dew,(which was named after another name for moonshine).


  There were bootleggers in my family. There was a story about one of my relatives, a miner, who had  'died in the mines'. He was mentioned at one point when my dad and I were visiting my maternal grampa's brother. At the mention of the guy 'dying in the mines'  Great Uncle Reggie snorted, "Yeah, he died in the mines...when his still blew up." Apparently he was hiding his still from the law, in the mine where he worked. It exploded and killed him.
  These dolls also remind me of the hillbillies in the old Bugs Bunny cartoon "Hillbilly Hare". 


You can watch one of the best parts of that cartoon HERE.



The other guy has an ax!



He's either chopping wood, or very involved in the feuding!


  I never realized until doing this research, that the Hatfields and the McCoys came from the same area as my mom and dad's families.

My dad's family still lives in Louisa and the surrounding area. My maternal Grama and Grampa lived on top of a hill outside of town. When mom was a kid they lived just over the line into West Virginia for a while. The Hatfields and the McCoys were from the Tug Fork area.

 I told Ken I'm probably related to the Hatfields or the McCoys, and that accounts for the temper in the family!


  Those are the dolls of the day. See you tomorrow for another one.

7 comments:

  1. First, I love the photos of your parents. You are so lucky to have them. I don't have any photos of my mother as a girl.
    I love the history lesson also. There is a town in West Virginia called Keystone. It was established by some folks from PA (the Keystone State).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are another 2 or 3 of my mom when she was small and a baby, but this is the only picture of my dad as a kid. I feel fortunate to have it.I have become sort of the curator of the family photos. I have some of my dad's grandparents!

      Delete
  2. They, and your story, remind me of Snuffy Smith (Norwegians have read about him every Christmas since 1970).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know of Snuffy Smith. Why do Norweigian read Sunffy Smith every Christmas? I've never heard of that.

      Delete
  3. Great photos, and another pair of cute little fellows. Of course I've never seen any like this before but have heard of hillbillies :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the old photos too. I have a fondness for old family photos, even when they aren't my own! They are like a flat time capsule.

    I have heard of the Hatfields and McCoys but only broadly. I had no clue Mountain was named after Moonshine!! I used to love MD, but it has so much caffeine. I wish I could find it caffeine free like I did in Missouri since what I like is the taste.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.