Friday, August 30, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #242: Horsman Girl: Baby Precious?

   **UPDATE** I think this girl may be Baby Precious. If anybody knows for sure, let me know. Also, what year is she? All I can find is 1939, but that dolls seems to have composition arms and legs.
  I am posting this early today,as Ken and I are having lunch with an old friend, after which Emma is picking me up. We're going to a concert all the way in Pittsburgh. Emma chose to do the trip. It's Squeeze and KT Tunstall,both of which Emma has seen before,but I guess she thought it was worth the drive. I've seen Squeeze,one of my favourite bands, a couple of times:once in the 80's,and once with Emma and Ivy. I haven't seen KT Tunstall, but I do like her music.
  Today we're looking at a doll that is in such bad shape that I wouldn't normally feature her. But there is a reason.


She's an 18 inch Horsman doll, and it says so on the back of her neck. She's probably from no earlier than the 50's because of her vinyl arms. If anybody knows her name,please let me know.

Don't mind my nails. I was painting that secret Ivy furniture.
She has a composition head. What shows under her scuffs looks like she's compo,but when I tap her head with my fingernail, she sounds like plastic. Also, she isn't flaking like compo does,as much as scuffing. After being confused by this, I was researching to see if I could find out who she is. In following pictures, I found a post by Raging Moon at Confessions of a Doll Lover, and learned that compo sounds like plastic when you tap it with a fingernail too. I hadn't really thought it did,but it makes this girl make much more sense. So I'm going with compo. Thanks Raging Moon.
 

Her sleep eyes work well.


She has molded hair under her wig. That seems to have been a pretty common thing with old dolls. I'm not sure why they molded hair and then stuck a wig on the doll anyway. I suppose the molded hair came in handy if they produced different versions of the doll,or if the used the same mold for different dolls. It gave them options I guess.


This is almost certainly her original wig,because it's in such bad condition.

Her wig has very prominent stitching.



Her head appears to be attached to her body with wire.


Her body is stuffed,with a 'mama' box that still works.


I am showing her though,because she's in such bad shape. Because she's sort of falling apart we're able to see something I have never seen before.



She has a wooden arm joint connecting her vinyl lower arm to her cloth upper arm. I am a little surprised. For one thing, it seems strange to see a wooden joint like that in a doll with vinyl arms. I would have thought that by the time they got to vinyl they would have been using plastic joints. Also,she has arms like dolls such as Thumbelina. That type of doll usually didn't have joints. The vinyl arm was just stitched to the fabric upper arm. This wooden joint would probably have allowed this dolls arms to be posed, and they would have held the pose.
  Ok. Question here. Is she worth saving? Her mama box still works,her body is in good shape. Her limbs are very discoloured,but then, I haven't tried cleaning them. They might come up nicely,but I'm inclined to think they'll at least be yellowed a bit. Her wig is shot. She will definitely need another wig. Honestly, if anybody wants to make a project of her, you're welcome to her if you want to pay the  shipping. It would be nice to see her saved. If any of you do take her, I'd love to see her when you get her restored.
  That's the doll for today. See you again tomorrow.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, she looks just like my little Anita, only not as grouchy! I'd say YES, she's worth saving, as her compo only has scuffs. No cracks or crazing like another of my poor composition dolls. Discolored limbs are to be expected, I believe, as this doll is probably seventy years old, maybe more. And she still cries! My Anita does not. She's worth the effort, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about this doll. She does look in bad condition. Is there a doll hospital near you? You might be able to donate her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sweet little Horsman doll with the composition arms may have been a transitional doll. Horsman sold versions of the Magic Skin concept developed for soft bodies and limbs that were stuffed latex. Their version was called Fairy Skin. I looked on ebay under fairy skin and saw a doll that looks very similar to yours. The latex rubber that predated vinyl does darken with age. She is definitely worth saving and since I would love to adopt her. It would be a great winter project to find out about her and restore her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! If you're willing to pay the postage,she's all yours! I'd love to see your finished restoration too. I could update the post with her 'after' photos! I'm sure everyone would love to see her happy ending.

      Delete
  4. Yes I think she's worth saving. I mean you couldn't throw her out, it would be too sad. I think she has a nice face and I'm sure if she were able to talk, she would have a story or two to share with us all :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terrible about that. I can never throw anything with a face in the trash!

      Delete
  5. Do you still have this doll? Wierd to ask you with this posting so old maybe, but please email me if you still have it...I may buy it. I don't know what to do to have you let me know....maybe email me at sharoncoscodar@gmail.com TY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to buy this doll of you still have it...please email me at sharoncoscodar@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this doll too! I’ve had her for nearly 40 years. She was given to me when I was a very young child. She belonged to a family member who said it had been in the family since she was ‘born’. I named her Elisa Jean. She no longer has the hair. I hated the hair! It was half hanging off, and her head was already cracked, so I pulled it off. Only being around 8 at the time, I knew nothing about the value of keeping throngs as intact as possible. Her body is in amazing shape! Her eyes still open and close, and she still ‘sorta’ makes her crying noise when you tip her. I’m actually quite impressed that she’s still in such good shape, considering I played with her & slept with her in my bed daily!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought this same doll today but shorter hair. She is in amazing shape, her body is in perfect shape and her head has no flaws. There’s a little spot on her nose but not very noticeable. Her arms and legs are all perfect. her clothes are very old and worn and torn and some places, I was going to try to mend them. I didn’t see the name on her head because her hair is stitched pretty low, but everything is identical to this doll. I don’t know her value. Did anybody figure this baby doll had a name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's Baby Precious, by Horsman. Her hair would probably be as short as your doll's, if the curl weren't sagged out.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. Is she pretty common so you know?

      Delete
    3. I don't think she's uncommon. She was made for a few years, in slightly different forms. I think at one point she had compo arms.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.