Thursday, August 22, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #234: Connie's Collection: Nancy Ann Storybook Dolls, Part 3

   Our last baby, George,leaves us today.Emma has found him a home. He'll have a couple of step siblings and a family who love orange cats. I feel very sad to see our last baby go,but I know he'll be better off in a home where he can be loved more exclusively:we have too many cats already. I am thankful all our babies found homes. Thanks to Ivy, Emma, and my sister for finding homes for SEVEN kittens! I'm glad I didn't have to take any of them to the cat rescue. They are no doubt overwhelmed as it is. Just a preachy note, please have your pets spayed or neutered.We never would have imagined in a million years that a cat could break into our basement and impregnate our unfixed girls. But, as Jeff Goldblum said, 'Life finds a way.' Yes, they were all beautiful, we enjoyed having them, and they all found homes. But so often cats end up homeless,and making more cats,who also are homeless. The world is never going to run out of cats. Don't worry. They're never ALL going to get 'fixed'.
   Today we're looking at somewhat larger Nancy Ann Storybook dolls.

I think this girl may be the April Showers Nancy Ann.

While the other dolls we've seen so far have been 5 and a half inches tall,these girls stand 6 inches tall.

One of today's dolls on the left,compared to the 5 and a half inch Alice Through the Looking Glass doll from a couple of days ago.

The April SHowers also has a smaller head,more in scale with her 6 inch body.
 

 April Showers is bisque,so undoubtedly from the 1930's/40's. If I didn't know that already,you can't mistake that look.


The second girl is plastic.


Unlike the later plastic Nancy Ann dolls, this one is almost indistinguishable from the bisque dolls. She doesn't have the scary looking sleep eyes those had,or the sometimes strange skin tone. 

April Showers has a taffeta sort of dress. Fabric experts, help me out here.

Under it she has a plain muslin slip and bloomers.
 The second doll has a sheer over skirt on her dress,covering a busy pattern on the underskirt.




 
You can barely see the patterned underskirt.




Ignore the fact that she needs her skirt pressed. My point here is that her sheer overskirt doesn't cover the underskirt all the way in the back. Maybe if it were pressed it would lay better.
Under all that she has bloomers that match the underskirt.


And her shoes are painted on,as are all Nancy Ann shoes.

She is one of the Nancy Ann's with a jointed neck,so she can turn her head.



April Showers doesn't have a neck joint.


April Showers is my favourite of the two. She has a prettier face,and better hair,although that may be due to it being in better shape. I do like the dress Second Girl has though.
 Tomorrow we'll look at a couple more Nancy Ann dolls that are different from these girls.

9 comments:

  1. The fabric of the pink dress looks like moire' satin to me. Cuties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok,I had to look that up. I didn't know what it was called, but I'm familiar with it. The dress doesn't have the wavy appearance. The search for truth continues!

      Delete
  2. What cutie dolls. They look like they are going somewhere fancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps they've already been there, because my house certainly isn't!

      Delete
  3. That cloth is called faille! (pronounced "fie") It was really popular in the 1940s. The texture always reminds me of grosgrain ribbons.

    I thrifted a Nancy Ann Storybook Doll a few years ago, still wearing her original dress but needing new hair. She has sleep eyes and a walking mechanism. It's been fun seeing the dolls you've posted, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll have to remember that! I come across that fabric a lot since I like vintage things, and I never know what to call it.
      Are you talking about a Nancy Ann Muffie doll? Now I'm wondering if the dolls of Connie's that I bought, that I thought were Ginnys, are Muffies.

      Delete
  4. April Showers is a beautiful doll! Her face and hair are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two very cute girls, I like both of them and no, you'd not know that they weren't made of the same material really!
    I agree with you on getting cats (and dogs for that matter) neutered as there really are far too many of them roaming around making more cats and the rescues are full as it is. I'm glad you were able to find homes for all yours, I know you'll miss them but it is for the best.
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.