Thursday, September 5, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #248: Playmates Doll

  Well,right or wrong, we bought a car today. I say 'right or wrong' because it's a car with a rebuilt title. That means that at some point it was deemed undrivable,and it's been repaired. It seems fine though. We have the worst luck with cars,so I'm just wary. It's nice to be confident in our car and independent again. We can leave town! Guess who's going to the big doll show this year!
  Today's doll is this girl.


She's marked Hong Kong...


...and Playmates.


I'm guessing she's probably from the early to mid 1970's.


She measures 11 inches tall.


I tried to find a doll like her online. I couldn't find her exact twin,but I did find Playmates dolls with the same hands...

 

...and the same hairstyle.

 

She has two little ponytails.



Otherwise her hair is short and curly.
 

I couldn't find a Playmates doll with this face though.
 

I'm sure this is her original outfit,although she may have had shoes too.


Her blouse, skirt, and apron are all one piece,and close in the back with buttons.

 

She has a fairly standard articulation: neck, shoulders, and hips. Her neck does have a ball joint though,so her head can tilt in cute ways in addition to turning and looking up and down.

 


  This is the sort of doll that would have appealed to me as a kid. My childhood dolls seems to mostly fall into two categories: goofy looking,but cheerful,or heartbreakingly sad. This doll fits in to the goofy looking but cheerful category.


  That's the doll for today. Tomorrow we'll look at another one. See you then.

7 comments:

  1. I love her face! If you picture her with braids and a sunbonnet she'd be quite Holly Hobbie-ish.
    Her face reminds me of the Playmates Pixie doll. But Pixie had molded hair, her smile wasn't as wide, and she was clearly a baby. Definitely a family resemblance though, maybe the same sculptor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that sculptor must have been very busy! While researching I came across a lot of dolls that had really similar faces. I thought when looking through them that Playmates had one sculptor they used a lot.

      Delete
    2. I actually spent two hours googling last night trying to find some info and you're right. I had no idea Playmates made so many dolls!

      Delete
  2. cute, Ive seen that one before but I cant put my finger on where...I probably grew up with her and never noticed her. cant wait till tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While researching I came across a lot of Playmates dolls that look similar. Maybe you had one of them.

      Delete
  3. This doll is new to me.

    I like the last photo of her. The way she is posed it looks like she has a big purple bow but it's flowers. That was very clever of you.

    I am trying to think now if I had a "type" of doll when I was growing up. Hmmm, I will have to reflect on that.

    Good luck with your new car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute little face she has, and I'm not usually into smiley dolls, but she is cute as a button.
    I hope the new vehicle works out well for you and what a great bit of luck that you can now go to the big doll show....I'm so jealous!!
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.