Friday, September 27, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #270: Belly Button Baby

  I'm still working on the vacation posts. I have been so sleepy since we got home I can hardly hold my eyes open,which makes writing a post a little difficult! So today we have a doll that is sort of a rerun. She's this kid.


She's a Belly Button Baby.



She was made by Ideal in 1970.


She measures 9 inches tall. I showed you one back in January. You can see her HERE. I was doubtful that one was wearing authentic Belly Button Baby clothing, but I know this one is.


She's all original. She has her yellow shirt...
 

... matching diaper...

...which has snaps and fits weirdly.

...orange hair ribbon...

 

...and at least half of her rattle.


The gimmick with the Belly Button Baby dolls was that they have a button in their belly that can be pushed,making their head and limbs move.



It's like the old dancing clown or animal toys that were on a base,and when the base was pushed the clown or animal moved.


Depending on where the button is pushed,she can look up or tilt her head.
  There was a matching boy in a shorts outfit like this one. Belly Button Baby also came in several hair colours,and as an African American doll. You can watch a commercial for Belly Button Baby HERE.
  That's the doll for today. Hopefully I will get the first vacation post up tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. Well, she certainly looks joyful (smile). I was wondering what she was holding but now I see it's the rattle you mentioned.

    I hope you are able to get some good rest. The older I get the more important I realize that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I certainly can't go without sleep like I used to. When I think of all the Christmas's i stayed up all night working on the kids' presents,only to be woken for unwrapping an hour later! I don't know how I did it and I definitely couldn't do it now! I can't even focus my eyes late at night any more.

      Delete
  2. Oh she's cute but again not heard of this particular doll. I like the idea of the button but it's a big old button isn't it!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of them either until I came across one a few years ago. That button is huge. I don't think it's meant to be a literal 'belly button'. It's just that the button is on their belly. It controls the movement,so maybe it had to be that big. The limbs are connected with strings to the button. Pushing a different part of the button, (top,side, etc.) causes different movements..

      Delete
  3. She's just as cute as the other one and the outfit looks more appropriate than the other one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for your comments.