Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #268: Baby Dreams Velvet Skin Doll

  Well, we're back from vacation. I have lots to show you, and tell you about. That will come later in the week,or maybe next week, considering today is Wednesday already. I am totally exhausted,and I need time to rest and get caught up. Luckily I photographed a few extra dolls ahead of time so I didn't have to jump right back in when I got home. So today's doll has nothing to do with my vacation. She's this kid.
 
She measures about 17 inches tall.

She's Baby Dreams, the Velvet Skin Doll.


The name comes from the unusual flocked face and limbs she has.

 

She was made in 1975.
 


She's an Ideal doll.

 



There were a couple of versions of this doll. This is the first version, because she has flocked legs as well as a flocked face. Later versions just had regular legs, even though they had flocked faces and arms.



It's very hard to find one of these dolls with perfect flocking. It tends to wear off on the high spots,like the nose and mouth,toes,and finger tips. It can also get dirty,like this girl's toes.
  Her body isn't dirty. It came this weird colour.


I don't understand the thinking behind it, since the flocked areas are so pink. There was an African American version too,and that doll's body was tan coloured.
  She has inset sleep eyes.



Supposedly her eyes aren't supposed to close until she's laid on her side. I didn't notice I had to do that to make them close. But I was in a hurry the day I photographed her.

 

The little bunting she's wearing is original.
 


Under that hood she has rooted blonde hair. It's a bit dry and doesn't comb very well.

 


Supposedly this is a fairly rare doll. Considering how damaged they can get,and how weird the concept is,(How many did they even sell?),I can understand why it would be. You can watch the original commercial for Baby Dreams HERE.
  That's the doll for today. Now I an my tennis ball ankles are going to bed. Hopefully tomorrow they will look normal again.

32 comments:

  1. I have never seen a doll with this type of "skin." I can't decide if I think she is cute or not

    I am glad you are back safe and sound. I can't wait to hear about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can attest to the rarity of this doll. I want one, and every time I try to shop for one the prices for the handful I find are outrageous. LOVE this doll, though! Lovely to see her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want this girl you're welcome to make an offer. I hadn't planned to keep her.

      Delete
    2. No. Sorry. She found a new home.

      Delete
  3. I haven't ever seen a doll with flocked skin and I think it gives me the creeps a bit to be honest. I am sure if I had it as a child, I'd be that terror that picked off the flocking.....!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. <3 I had one of these. I got it for Christmas in 1977 I believe. I remember the box and how much I loved her. But I was disappointed that under the bunting she was just a sack body. Not sure why but that bothered me as a kid. I've actually been looking for one for memory's sake and yes SUPER hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is available, if you're interested. If you are, comment with your email, (which I won't publish), nd I'll get in touch with you. And I did get both comments from you. They don't post until I post them, which is why you weren't seeing it.

      Delete
  5. Hmm, I thought I posted a reply but it seems to have disappeared or this may be a double comment in which case I apologize. I loved this doll, I received her for Christmas in I believe 1977 when I was 5. I remember being disappointed though that she had a sack body. Not sure why, but this bothered me. Definitely hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me know if she is still available. I have no idea what to offer you, but I have a dear friend who loves this doll as a child. The doll was lost in a house fire many years ago. She has MS and I’d love to buy her as a replacement 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I emailed you a couple of times. Leave me another comment if you didn't get the emails.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  8. I had this doll as a child. It was my most treasured doll. It was a hot item the yr it came out because they sold out and I didn’t ge5 one till the next yr. I have no idea what happened to her. The last I remember seeing her was when my kids were little and they drug her around my moms house. That was 30 yrs ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have looked high and low for this doll. Do you still have her? I'm willing to purchase if in very good condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is still here, as you see her. As you can see in the photos,she has some damage to her face and nightgown. That's why she is priced at $25 plus shipping. Message me with your email, (Which I won't publish), if you are interested and we'll discuss it.

      Delete
  11. Do you still have her? Please let me know. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is this doll still available for purchase?

    ReplyDelete
  13. is this doll still available on june 14,2021 i have been looking for one for my daughter who is now 48.. She had one when she was little id live to find another one for memory sake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. sorry. She's gone. Try Ebay or other online sites. They show up from time to time.

      Delete
  14. Yeah, I think I will pass on a flocked full size doll. I had some little flocked toys and bought them for my son, but something about THAT much flocking is just plain weird. Too bad, she is a cute doll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And why would she have a furry face?

      Delete
    2. The flocked toys were animals, so they made sense! A baby with a furry face is just wrong. I know they have fine tiny hairs on their face, we all do. But its not like we SEE them. lol

      Delete
  15. Any chance she is still available? I would love to give her a forever home. My mom and dad got me one for Christmas of 77. Unfortunately, we had a house fire New Year's Eve and my room took the brunt of damage. I lost everything. We tried to replace her, but there were none to be had in our area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for you. We had a fire last January. Unfortunately. she went to a new home quite a while back. They do occasionally show up on Ebay. There are a few on there right now. I don't know the condition you want, or your price range, but they pretty much cover everything.

      Delete
  16. I just typed in google and found this site. I still have my velvet baby dreams doll in the loft. I absolutely loved her. She still has her original clothing in, and I don’t think I ever brushed her hair completely. I don’t think I’d ever sell her, but how much are they worth now? No box, and some loss of flocking from what I remember. I’m just curious.. I’d thought about giving her to my little Grandaughter.. but not sure if I should now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prices change frequently. If you really want to know, check 'sold' listings, (as opposed to just active listings. See what they actually sold for.) They do tend to have some value though. If your granddaughter loves her, it would be beautiful to hand her down.
      Compare it to how much a new doll like American girl costs. But it's up to you.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.