Sunday, September 29, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #272: What I Did on My Vacation Part 2,and Pud N Cakes Doll

  On to the second part of my vacation story. You do realize that I'm writing this for me as much (Ok. Or MORE!), than for you. This way I can remember my vacation!
  The next day we left our nice AirB&B...

We took this picture before we left. It's a 'sequel' to one we took when we first started dating in late 1988.

... and headed for the nearby Tybee Beach. 

"ARE WE THERE YET?!" No! We're going to the beach!
Ken says he isn't a good swimmer, but he grew up on an island country where everyone goes in the sea. (Even if it is freezing cold!) He misses not living near water. We don't even live near Lake Erie,which is the biggest body of water near Ohio.



So he wasn't going to be so close to the ocean without going in. I don't swim, and I would never wear a bathing suit when I weighed 105 pounds, so I am certainly not going to wear one now. I am also afraid of the water. (That makes sense, since I can't swim.) So the most I do is wade. Ken started out wading...

 

...but couldn't resist taking his shirt off, which is a habit he carries out even in winter,and getting farther into the water. The waves were so strong that I begged him not to go out as far as he was wanting to.
 


 I'm a total land lubber I guess. Just standing where the water came up to my calves,with the sand sinking under my heels and the waves slamming in,made me incredibly dizzy and seasick! I could barely stand up in it because I was so dizzy and disoriented. I was getting pretty nauseous too. I retreated to the beach to watch Ken and pick up sea shells.


  It's ironic that Tammy was wearing her "No toys left behind" shirt this day.
 

I was carrying her in my pocket while I picked up shells. As we were getting ready to leave I turned to see how far Ken was behind me, and  saw Tammy laying in the sand between us, about 15 feet away from me. Ken had seen her, but ignored her because he thought I had put her there on purpose for a picture. "On her face?"
 

  Stupidly,this was the one day I forgot to put sunscreen on. My arms got a little red and the tops of my feet actually got a little sunburned. Nothing serious, but they were red, and itched for the next few days. My feet never see the light of day, so it's not surprising they got sunburned.


  Ken had his own little doppleganger. On a trip to New York and Canada a while back Emma and Ivy bought Ken a little lego keychain. It's an ear of corn with a face. Ken is obsessed with an eternal quest for yellow corn,(It's all been white or bicolour for the last few years around here.) The girls also  found it hilarious that the little corn man looks like Ken.
 

The girls names him Corn Cob Daddy. Ivy even made up a song to go with him,to the tune of "Let It Be"; When I find myself in times of trouble,Corn Cob Daddy comes to me, speaking words of wisdom,"Let me eat". (Food is Ken's thing.)
  After we left Tybee Beach we headed back into Savannah to tour the Mercer Williams House.


 It's the house where they filmed "Midnight In the Garden of Good and Evil". (And, we were told, also "Glory",and "Swamp Thing" and "Return of Swamp Thing"!) The story actually took place in the house, so that's fitting. I'm a little surprised they let them film it there, and that they seem to be so proud of it,because it isn't a flattering story. The story is based on the real life murder that happened in the house, and the subsequent trials that went on. The murder was committed by the (at the time) owner of the house, Jim Williams, supposedly in self defense. He was eventually acquitted, after 4 trials. The house is supposed to be haunted, and oddly enough, Williams died of heart failure only 4 months after he was acquitted, supposedly in the spot where the victim tried to shoot him years before. The house is now owned by his sister, even though he left her only $100 in his will. (The house was left to his mother and his sister inherited it from her.) During the tour they tell you nothing about the crime except to show you the room in which it happened and to say that, "Mr. William was acquitted of all charges." Williams' sister still lives in the house and in the living room there are pictures of her with the movie's cast, including a prominent one of her with Kevin Spacey, who played her brother in the movie. I can kind of see why her brother didn't leave her anything, or, seeing from the other side, why she doesn't care about making money on her brother's embarrassing story.
  The house is actually supposed to be one of the most haunted in Savannah. I didn't know this, or the story of the murder until after we got home. One of the ghosts that is said to haunt the house is of an 11 year old boy who fell or was pushed from the roof or possibly the second story balcony in 1969. He landed on the spiked railing of the wrought iron fence,which pierced his skull. His ghost has reportedly been seen looking out the windows. Had I known this at the time I would have been far more creeped out when, as I was preparing to take his picture at the side of the house, Ken said he thought he saw someone in the window but they vanished.


  After the Mercer Williams House we headed toward Albany, to Lori's house. We had planned to stay with Lori and just day trip to Disney and the other place we planned to go. As it turned out,Lori lives farther from Disney than she thought,so we had to stay in Florida overnight between our Disney days. We also changed our plans to go to Disney on Wednesday and Thursday to Thursday and Friday, because the weather was supposed to be cooler then. In any case, we got lost again and got to Lori's late. We got there about 10PM. She had waited up for us,even though she had to get up early for work the next day. We did go somewhere the next day, which I will detail in an upcoming post. But for today and tomorrow,(because tomorrow we are driving to Indiana to spend the day with Ivy.),I'm going to show you some of the dolls Lori has. I have told you before that Lori never had much of an interest in dolls. But her mother did. Lori has some dolls that were part of her mom's collection,and one or two of her own.
  So today, let's look at this girl.


She's a big girl,probably close to 30 inches tall.


She's marked Pud n Cakes,2000.


From what I can find,Pud N Cakes made doll parts which people used to make their own dolls. I'm pretty positive Lori and her mother Norma never made their own dolls. I guess they must have come assembled too. At least most of the Pud N Cakes dolls seem to have been designed by Val Shelton.


She has a vinyl head,arms, and legs, and a firmly stuffed body.
 
Her hands are blushed.
Her hair is a long blonde wig,with many shades of blonde to make it look more natural.



Her realistic blue eyes have applied lashes.

 

   She's just about the biggest doll Lori has. Tomorrow we'll see her competition for that title.

7 comments:

  1. You didnt by any chance see Forsyth Park Inn, did you? I hear it's haunted as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No,we didn't. Seems like everywhere in Savannah is haunted!

      Delete
  2. I love your story! I love seeing the photo you and Ken took years ago and how you replicated it.

    I am not a water person and I am not a sand person. I like lighthouses though.

    I would not want to go into a haunted house. I used to watch the Twilight Zone when I was a kid but now I would have nightmares.

    I am looking forward to seeing more of Lori's dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great photos, I love the photo of you both when you were young and how you tried to replicate it again all these years later.
    I'm like Ken, I love the sea and always like living just a little way from the water, and have done all my life really. I love the sound of it at night when I'm lying in bed and the smell of it too. Anyway, that aside, I enjoyed hearing about the house you visited, and how spooky that Ken thought he saw someone in the window!!! That would probably have freaked me out if I'd known beforehand though!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got stuck on Ebay tonight. Luckily I was just window shopping. lol I love that picture you guys re-created. The doll is extraordinary, her size though would make her hard to display! I am glad you are getting to see Lori again, even if this was in the past. Ghost stories don't bother me, I might have waved at the window. They are just people that have gone on before us.

    But I can understand why it unnerves some people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It creeped me out. Lori is always going to ghost hunts. Not me. I don't want to find them.

      Delete
    2. Oh no! I don't go looking for them either. Just because I am okay with them doesn't mean I want to see them. lol

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.