Thursday, September 19, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 # 262: My Buddy

  I have been clearing a lot of stuff out. In doing so I came across this guy.


He's My Buddy.



My Buddy was first made by Hasbro in 1985.


It was an attempt to make a doll that appealed to boys.  This was a big deal at the time. Dolls were considered girls playthings,so there was a bit of controversy.



The original version had removable clothes, shoes,and socks. This is the later My Buddy He has a non-removable shirt,removable overalls, and 'built in' shoes that were part of his feet.



He also came with a blue baseball cap type hat. This guy still has the remnants of his hat on each side of his head.


My Buddy also came as a brunette,and an African American. There was also a 'Kid Sister',which was a doll made to appeal to girls. In the 90's production of My Buddy switched to Playskool,who produced the version we're looking at today.
  You can watch the original commercial for My Buddy HERE.
  And if My Buddy reminds you of Chucky,from the "Child's Play" and Chucky movies. there's a reason for that. According to Chucky's creator, Don Mancini, "The director went out and got a 'My Buddy' doll, A Raggedy Ann, a Raggedy Andy and one of those life-size baby infants." But what he told the designer was that he wanted something like My Buddy. He described the character in the original script as "wearing red-buttoned overalls, red sneakers, striped sweater, with red hair, blue eyes, and freckles." He even originally named the character 'Buddy', but had to change it because it was too close to My Buddy.
  And on that note I bid you goodbye for another day. See you again tomorrow. 

5 comments:

  1. I have heard of this doll but I have never seen him.

    He reminds me of the storybook called William's Doll that was popular in the 1970s and featured in Marlo Thomas's documentary: Free To Be You and Me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found one at a thrift store and I didn't buy it, I still kick myself over that decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have the My Buddy/Kid Sister commercials in my head. I have never seen Chucky because I don't like movies about killer dolls! I love monster movies and one time I tried to watch Puppetmaster because it was on Syfy. I didn't finish and could not look at puppets for awhile either!

    I think this doll has a cute little face, but my son had boy dolls and girl dolls, so he really didn't care either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw part of the first Chucky movie, but I don't like gory horror movies. Now days, I think, with all the dolls in this house, the last thing I need is to be scared of dolls! On the other hand, two of my favourite movies are "Magic", and "Dead of Night", which you may have read about on this blog, both about murderous dummies. I also liked "Trilogy of Terror", about the murderous doll. So there you go.

      Delete
    2. I like the Grade B monster movies. The ones that are so bad they are funny. One of my favorites is Tremors. Love JAWS too, but it did make me afraid to go in the ocean. LOL I like the movies that are so far fetched they are not believable. I don't like Thrillers with nutso humans and killers. Those are too real!

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.