Sunday, September 1, 2019

Doll-A-Day 2019 #243: John Dolly Darling

  I woke up somewhere in the middle of the night last night, to find my shoulder/back/neck were going out on me again. I was having trouble turning my head and was having a lot of pain. It bothered me today,but Ken pressed on it for me and gave me a bit of a massage, and it's not as bad as it was. The problem is under me shoulder blade and up my neck.I don't know what I did that strained it,but it has gone out on me before. When we first moved here, 24 years ago, carrying furniture and boxes got to me. I was cooking dinner one night not long after we moved in, when, suddenly, my shoulder went out. I couldn't move without intense pain. That night Ken had to help me dress for bed,and the pain was so intense that my speech was affected. Ken said I sounded like deaf actress Marlee Matlin. I think he thought I must be having a stroke or something,and he was scared. Since then he has lived in fear of me 'turning into Marlee Matlin' again. I have been being careful all day not to do too much, because I don't want to go through the pain, and also not be able to move!
  Today's doll is a little guy you may have seen before. I got him at the flea market last summer. He's John.


John was part of the original Dolly Darlings line.


They were all tiny 4 inch tall dolls.


They were called 'hatbox dolls' because they came in round plastic 'hatbox' style boxes with clear lids. John was the only boy.


He was called 'John and his Pets', and was sold with 2 cats,two dogs, a duck,two pieces of white fence, a can of 'cat food', and a  fake book called 'How to Train Cats'.


He was sold in 1965.


He is the only original Dolly Darling to not be later sold in a rooted hair version. His molded,painted hair was painted with a variety of shades and colours,and has plenty of molded detail.

All that paint and they couldn't have spared some for his eye brows?!


 


John is wearing his original jacket and shorts.


He should also have a white shirt with red bow tie.
 
He has weird little fisty hands.

Hey! Come back here with my shirt!
His blue knee socks and brown lace up oxfords are painted on.


 He's jointed at the neck, shoulders,and hips,so he can sit down.


You may have seen my other John, who made do with some hand me down clothes. If not, you can see him HERE.



That's today's doll.


Tomorrow we'll look at another one. See you then.

4 comments:

  1. He looks "mighty" for such a little guy. I like him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is rather cute actually, I like the fisty hands too...and the photo of him posed with his arms up like a tiny body builder!!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meant to add that I'm sorry for your pain, sometimes something as simple as a sneeze can set these things off. I have had this happen to me a few times and the pain is dreadful but fortunately it doesn't seem to hang around for more than a few days, so hope your problem will be gone by now too.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having the occasional twinge,but it's much better. Thanks.

      Delete

Thanks in advance for your comments.